• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Diesel smell at idle but no smoke

mpljc

Reaction score
I have noticed in the mornings as I leave to back out the driveway (with the windows down) a smell of diesel. My daughter who sits in the back seat (crew cab) noticed it also and told me to roll the window up.

I have checked - so far no diesel in oil. I have no smoke at idle or cruising.

The injectors were replaced under special policy back in February 2009.

I guess it would not hurt if I could find someone in my area with EFI Live that could check balance rates and return rates just to see what they are.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

I tend to get a bit of a diesel smell in a closed cab when cold starting too. Goes away pretty quick though.

Check Exhaust Gaskets, make sure they aren't Cracked, Holes in the Exhaust System, all Nuts & Bolts are Tight.

Maybe different "Seasonal" Blend of Fuel? Don't know if they do that in the Southern States.

Thanks for the ideas!

Mike - I don't get it when the cab is closed - just notice it when the windows are down.

James - Thanks for the ideas. I'm not sure if we get seasonal blends fuels in Alabama or not. I would think in the northern part of the state that it is very likely because they will tend to get very cold temperatures as far as southern states are concerned. Not as cold as the folks in the northern states - so I am not trying to compare. But the northern part of Alabama will see single digits and teen temperatures during the winter months. But more consistently probably in the 20's. Just depends on the wind from the north to drop the temps.

Here in the lower and middle part of the state - it will get cold but not as bad. I would say it averages in the 30's though we will see a dip every now and then in the teens and 20's on occasion.

Diesel Tech - Thanks for the ideas.

540S10 - I suspect you are correct that it is just the normal diesel exhaust smell to expect. I guess ever since my injector failure back in February 2009, I have become more keen and more aware - maybe developing an overly sense of paranioa noticing even the small minute ("mynewt" - phonetic spelling) things with my truck. I guess when I smell it, it just brings back that bad memory.

This is the best forum! Thank you all for the advice!

I tend to get a bit of a diesel smell in a closed cab when cold starting too. Goes away pretty quick though.

Mike,

When my injectors failed. I had a lot of diesel in my oil. The diesel fumes came into the cab and would almost make you nauseous. My oil pressure dropped to about 20 PSI at idle also.

Back