• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Diesel HPR special fuel

nealpellecchia

Reaction score
Early one morning low on fuel I pulled my 1993 6.5 4x4 K2500 HD w/381,000 mi. in to a gas station and started filling up 2.89/gal. while it was idling rough slight miss when cold. Propel is the name of the fuel. All of a sudden the engine was idling higher, stronger, no miss, running like a bull.

[email protected] 800-871-0773

I noticed them carrying this new fuel around January. I went to their website but it doesn't give a lot of info. They do say it isn't bio or regular diesel right on the sign next to the pump. I just put a 2nd tank of it into my truck. The first tank I got 13.4 MPG's ran great. I'm running it because it's anywhere from 10 - 30 cents cheaper than regular and bio diesels and they claim it burns cleaner.

Well don't just put anything in your tank and figure it's safe for your antique injection system. There is less info out there on this flavor of fuel than there is on ASTM Biodiesel. Learn about then decide if the risk and "modifications" are worth it before experimenting.

The fuel must be thicker and sealing up your worn pump to make it run better. Regardless all the "issues" of biodiesel apply. Specifically short hose life and lift pumps that are incompatible with biodiesel. Our older trucks also shed the tank lining with high % of biodiesel. Be aware of bugs and the need to run biocide.

You are experimenting with your truck when using this fuel. Figure replacing everything from the fuel tank to the injector tips if the experiment goes south. If you have bad luck injector failure also takes the engine out like my in avatar pic.

Biodiesel is useful for emissions testing. Otherwise I avoid alternative fuel like the plague because it has caused me to open checkbook painfully many times.
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/th...ulsd-and-biodiesel-this-can-affect-you.35096/

I've been running 11% plus since it became available in the 90's. No problems

I have heard there is a great variety difference in bio quality depending on where you are located. The bio we have here is good clean stuff

I've filled up probably 10 times now with the HPR. Truck seems to idle smoother. mileage seems to be about the same, and its cheaper than regular diesel. I'm not to worried about using it. I ran Propels B5 and B20 and never had a problem with it either. Most of the rest of the country bitches about California, but I've been through 4 Powerstroke classes. The instructor is paid half by Ford and half by International and travels the country teaching these classes. He said he tests diesel fuel everywhere he goes and CA's diesel is like rocket fuel. Never finds water or a fungus or anything. Said Texas has had some of the worst fuel he has ever tested.

If your getting good results from HPR I say keep running it.

As for that guy saying that California having The best fuel I would like to see the reports on that. Especially when he says the Texas has the worst. WTI or West Texas Intermediate is the Standard for crude oil for the US and many other countries because of it's amazing grade of quality. I cannot imagine a baker winning a cake contest using old eggs and dirt mixed in with the flour. To make the best you have to start with the best unless you're breaking it down to a molecular level and building back up from there in a synthetic manner.

On top of that the emission standards in California are the tightest in the country and in diesel fuel that equates to ultra low sulfur, combined with ethanol for the cleanest emissions. California fuels have consistently tested as the worst lubricating fuels for the last 25 years that I've been in the industry. Being as large portion of our fuels came from California that supplied Southern Nevada and northern Arizona I know the economic hit we took to add tons of lubricants.

There are only two testing laboratories in the United States that is excepted by all the refineries as well as the rest of the oil industry. Ask him which he used and which tests he had them put through.

No fungus in the fuel means the use of more ethonal, which of course makes it more hydroscopic soaking up more water from the humidity in the air if nothing else.
On the other hand
No water in the fuel means the use of less ethanol, which of course makes it more hydrophobic and that in turn allows more fungus growth.which of course makes it more hydrophobic and that in turn allows more fungus growth.

Hottest fuel maybe because of the rediculous amount of corn juice that is mandated by the state to be in all your fuel. Don't take that as a good thing, dump in a bunch of nitromethane in your gasser car to see why-

Then you have the fact that there are multiple competing corporations producing different fuel from different sources using different techniques trying to one up their competition. All the fuel is not going to test the same. Every refinery you see struggles in the balance of acceptable fuel with proper production margins.

I know your just repeating what he told you, but whatever he is teaching in that class, I am REALLY going to doubt he understands fuels and their interactions with engines like I do. I worked with some of the largest testing companies out their like 76, GM, CAT,
Etc., doing the largest test beds that had ever been done. I worked for the base company that now is the largest biofuel mfr in the country. I currently work for the company that is at the forefront of synthetic crude and fuels. If this guy is professing those 3 points to you: hottest, no growth organisms,and no water all in the same fuel, I call BS. No one company even has the best of any of 2 of those categories, let alone all 3 and coming from the 3rd lowest grade crude possibly depending on which part of California your in. Does it start with a V? Haha yup.

Last edited:
Don't know man. Just repeating what I was told by someone who travels the country claiming to test fuel where he teaches. Don't know if other states just don't have the requirements for keeping fuel that CA does or what. But myself nor any friends with diesels have had an issue with fuel being bad unless we were out of state. Not saying you can't get bad diesel in CA, but at least the area I usually fill up in it probably gets cycled through pretty fast and doesn't have time to sit.

Back