• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Dags

Dags

Reaction score
I have a 1997 Chevy Silverado 1500 four-wheel drive with the 5.0 Vortec motor when I am driving it feels like it's coming in and out of overdrive and makes a loud clang and sound but the RPM gauge never moves I'm assuming it's the transmission but I also replace the transmission three times and all three transmissions did the same thing possible causes

This is just a shot in the dark, but if you're going through transmissions there's a underlying reason for it. Especially since you said it's making the same sound with all the transmissions. Keeping throwing tranny's in won't solve it.iis the 4 wheel drive working correctly? Hi/lo. Back to 2wheel. ?? I'm not much on tranny issues myself but be patient other guys will be along on here shortly that will be more knowledgeable..
In the mean time Welcome to.. THE TRUCK STOP..

Yeah, welcome DAGS.
Does this clanging banging noise come on as soon as a new trans is installed or does it take some time before it begins acting out ?

I have a 1997 Chevy Silverado 1500 four-wheel drive with the 5.0 Vortec motor when I am driving it feels like it's coming in and out of overdrive and makes a loud clang and sound but the RPM gauge never moves I'm assuming it's the transmission but I also replace the transmission three times and all three transmissions did the same thing possible causes
Suspect you are just another of many victims of ignorance in troubleshooting by a transmission shop "its the shift synchronizer in t-case is broken not installed correctly any mechanic could figure that one out after the first trans replacement...... however; a pro would have diagnosed the t-case right way."

I wouldn't say it happens right away it only does it between 55 and 65 miles I'm thinking maybe has something to do with the valve body in the transmission even though they had three rebuilt Transmissions they use the stock rebuild parts and I think they have a problem with the valve bodies for the overdrive

I think I am going to replace the valve body in it and see if it makes a difference

I wouldn't say it happens right away it only does it between 55 and 65 miles I'm thinking maybe has something to do with the valve body in the transmission even though they had three rebuilt Transmissions they use the stock rebuild parts and I think they have a problem with the valve bodies for the overdrive
Perhaps, you should think about finding another shop.....valve body question is really a no brain er "they test it before the rebuild the 1st rebuild and simply put in a rebuilt unit if they don't do rebuilds on valve-bodies themselves." Do you really think they are qualified to really fix it?

Back