• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Core Return

RI Chevy Silveradoman

At your service
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
I just purchased a whole rear brake kit for my car. I was charged a core charge for each caliper. I inquired about how to go about returning them. Seems I have to foot the bill to return the core calipers.
Is this correct?
Has anyone sent anything back to them and had to pay return postage?

Honestly at $38 each for cores, it might not be worth the cost in shipping to return. personally if the parts arent that bad off, I would keep them and rebuild them for spares. you never know when they might come in handy. for places like RA, amazon and such that have contracts with UPS and FedEx, shipping is cheap for them. for folks like us trying to send anything over 20lbs, shipping gets outrageous.

I try to always buy new if possible that way a core isn't required plus the part your getting hasn't had a previous life of abuse where it's gonna fail just as the warranty expires!!

It seems that whenever I needed parts and shopped on RA, I would also check with the local parts stores.
MOST TIMES, it seemed that the parts from the local stores was about the same price, or slightly higher, but not so much higher to off set the freight charges, so, I usually went with the local parts store.
oriellys over here, if I specify a Delco component, they will order in that Delco component for Me. Once in a while there would be freight attached but most times it would come in through their system and avoid the postage/fright. OoooopsS, freight.
And if there would be a core charge, I would return the core to the local store and there would be no freight attached.
Before punching that purchase now button, check Your local parts stores. Juz sayin.

I agree with what MrMarty is saying. Buying local when possible saves some headaches. One of the parts guys I use will work with me on pricing when his prices are higher than others, if I push. I've only done it one time, though, and it worked out well for both of us. He got a nice larger sale out of the deal and I had a local place to go when I had a part failure. He took care of the warranty issue and all I had to do was drive a couple minutes to exchange parts.

He is even to the point where I'll call in for a part and he usually volunteers to me where the part is made before I even ask.

Sometimes prices are a bit higher, but when I consider the frustration I can avoid by not shipping, plus I help keep a local guy's doors open, I'm good with that. If I need a part late on a Saturday afternoon, he will set a part outside or hang out for me to get there to pick up. I realize it's not always practical, but a lot of times it is far better than buying online. Also, not everyone has a guy like this at their disposal. He's a rare bird, anymore, that can actually look in a paper book to find something if the computer doesn't barf it up to him.

Our local GM dealership has an outstanding parts manager, too. He and I have worked with one another on parts since the 90s.

Those types of relationships are valuable.

Our local Advance auto is the same, if you specifically ask for a Delco part. they will go out of their way to order it at their discount rate from the GM dealer. it might be a little higher priced than RA, but less of a headache. several times I have searched on amazon and even walmart for delco part number and to my supprise both will show it available. amazon doesn't charge for cores even when something on RA has a core. the only thing is you have to be watchful on items from amazon, only order if it's marked with prime so that there is a no questions asked return. you can return just about anything under the sun no questions asked if it's marked with prime. and that you don't have to have a "prime" membership to do.

Back