• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Coolant overflow cleaning

dbrannon79

I'm getting there!
Reaction score
Good morning all,

I have a plan sometime this weekend to change my heater hoses and lower coolant overflow hose that is close to the turbo, there showing some deformation and in need of replacement.

while I'm in there with the inner fender off, I'd like to clean out the coolant overflow tank as well and possibly clear it up some where I can see the coolant level. I've stumbled across a few videos online where the bottle is removed and they used different chemicals soaking them in from concentrated hydrogen peroxide (hair bleach) and bleach powders to different acids. I'm a little on the cheap side not wanting to spend $100+ on a new overflow tank since mine isn't leaking and is just turned yellow and can't see through it with a flashlight.

while I have my truck down performing a compression test and replacing the hoses, I'd like to attempt cleaning this thing.

would you fellas know or have tried things that work for this?

I use vinegar for most all of My automotive cleaning needz.
I did soak out a overflow tank some time back. I cant remember what wehicle it was on though. I do remember filling it with vinegar then setting it into a 5 gallon bucket then filling the bucket with vinegar enough to cover the tank. It took a little while but it did clean it up real nice.

Back