• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Coolant Leak on 2005 LLY, need help, have pics, cracked metal casing?

2DRTURBO

Reaction score
I have an '05 K3500 CC LB. When the truck gets hot, it has a fairly agressive coolant leak towards the back of the driver's side of the engine. I powerwashed it and got underneath it and was able to take come pics. I believe I am seeing a crack in a metal part down there, but I don't know what the part is and what would be involved in replacing it. What is this? Is it a common problem? and what parts would I need to order to fix it? Thanks so much for your help. I am more of a 6.5 Turbo Diesel guy, but I just picked up this K3500 and am not as experienced with the Duramax trucks so I need help! The pics are from under the truck pointing up towards the driver's side, kind of near the oil filter. You can see the crack where I indicated and then you can see where the coolant runs downhill. Thanks again!lly2.jpgLLY.jpg

You need to go above and see where it is running down from. From your pictures it appears what your calling a crack is the seem where the valve cover atatches to the head. There is no coolant that passes anywhere near there, so it must be dripping down somewhere else, and running down and out through there. I would start by checking the hose that comes off the turbo and goes over to the coolant outlet pipe. I believe it can crack, leak down onto the valve cover, and could run down through there.

Ok, you are probably right, but To clarify, the crack I see runs perpendicular to the place where it looks like that piece mates up to head. When the truck is running I feel like I can see the coolant purging out of the little crack and then running down to the area where you see it accumulate and then drip down from there, eventually to the ground. I did try to look from above the best I could but I can't see anything! No leaks are visible. I even poked around a little with with my video scope trying to see back there, but no luck seeing a source from where the coolant was coming from.

Picture to clarify what I believe I see

take a look at this. Is this a crack? If so, what is this part?LLY3.jpg

Back