• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cold Air induction Idea(maybe)

dur0maxx

Is Blowin Soot On A Prius
Reaction score
Also posted on the "other" site.

I like many of you, have been thinking of ways to get more cold air into the turbo. I have searched all through this site and quietly judged everyone elses DIY jobs. I didn't 100% like anything I saw( I'm very picky, sorry). I did like the vent cut in the fender on the red truckthink it was a burb or tahoe) but I really don't want to cut a hole in my fender. So anyway everytime I log on I also view the random garages at the top of the forum. Everytime I see a D-Max I wonder to myself why didn't GM put our battery on the fender or where the overflow is. So I got bored tonight and wanted to see if it would fit there. It does, even with the air box mount the hood still closes. Now I know that the turbo is right there and it creates alot of heat. But I was thinking if I put a aluminum shield there then it would protect the battery from it. If you move the battery there, I think you could pretty much mount almost any GM truck CAI kit there with slight modification or build my own. One pipe with a 45* bend at the end and a BHAF and there you go. Also I noticed the snorkle that redirects cold air to the fender, now if you remove that then you'll have a straight shot of cold air coming from the grill. Anyway here are some pics I snapped with my cell phone real quick to give everyone an idea of what I'm thinkin about.

I would also remove the original batt tray too, that would allow me to put the filter down farther and closer to the parking light where the air comes from.

Attachments

• 0725082044.jpg
    0725082044.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 0725082045.jpg
    0725082045.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 29
  • 0725082046.jpg
    0725082046.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 0725082046a.jpg
    0725082046a.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 27
I like the intercooled setup with the Holset but I don't see any pics showing his routing. I can see the flex hose but not where it goes.

What he did is relocate the passenger side battery over to the driver side and had the whole area where the battery was open to the grill and shielded from the engine by a custom sheet metal shroud. Cold air right from the front of the truck. Kinda like your idea.

I found the post. Here is the link:

TD edit Link deleted, that site deletes links there to here; so we are returning the favor if you want to share the link use PM please

Last edited by a moderator:
With the size of my battery it would be a really tight fit on the drivers side. I got some scrap angle steel that I'm gonna use to make a battery tray. Should be fairly easy. I might try to modify the factory tray to fit where I want to put the battery. I also got some scrap 3" exhaust pipe. Don't know if that will work but the turbo inlet is about 1/8th inch shy of 3" so it shouldn't be a restriction IMO.

After doing tons of research on filtering efficiency, and running a homemade PVC intake with a WIX or Fram filter for awhile, I think I am going to bite the bullet and buy Heath's S&B CAI that they are coming out with in the next few weeks....gonna be a true CAI with a high flow filter - yes I have read Spicer's report as well as other ISO test data....I am comfortable with S&B....

Chris, I did a quick scan on there site, nothing bout A/F ( yeah I know its not out yet), where did you see anything bout it?

I knew about it for awhile now....also a quick blurb on it in the last issue of MaxxTorque magazine...

After doing tons of research on filtering efficiency, and running a homemade PVC intake with a WIX or Fram filter for awhile, I think I am going to bite the bullet and buy Heath's S&B CAI that they are coming out with in the next few weeks....gonna be a true CAI with a high flow filter - yes I have read Spicer's report as well as other ISO test data....I am comfortable with S&B....

That sound good!

I've been waiting too, I want to see pics and price and some specs though. I want to wait to see this before I start doing my own CAI. I enjoy making my own stuff but I do want to see how nice this unit is first.

I've been waiting too, I want to see pics and price and some specs though. I want to wait to see this before I start doing my own CAI. I enjoy making my own stuff but I do want to see how nice this unit is first.

Exactly... I've been wanting to put a fender scoop on for a while now, as I'm not afraid to cut a hole in the fender, 2 inch's away from the filter, nothing in between. It all depends where Heath's kit picks up the air from. If there's one thing we know about heath is he likes the right things outside the engine bay.. I'm hoping for something similar that brings the air tube somewhere up front where it rams in.

I don't mind cleaning my air filter once a week or so if thats a downside to strong fresh cold air.

Back