• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Clean up project with chippers: Bolens MC2800 8HP and Craftsman 5HP

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score
I have been helping a disabled Marine vet do some major clean up of his yard lately. I found the average Craftsman 5HP chipper shredder isn't up to the task. For example we knocked down 3 trees in one day and one small one took 30 min to grind up. These are the nasty thorny Palo Verde trees (AZ State Tree. Fing nasty weed IMO.) and iron hard mesquite trees - also thorny. The Palo Verde branches are anything but straight and are bushy making them very difficult to shove in a shredder. All we are trying to do is reduce the bulk of the "jungle" so it can be disposed of more easily. It's too green to burn. Hauling it away requires it to be shredded as it's too bulky and a PIA to handle with all the thorns. Even the branches if cut up are a bulky waste of space. BTW thorn proof gloves have their limits...

jungle - Copy.jpg

The 5HP Craftsman we have to shove the branches down the throat of the flail shredder side and the chipper is no more than a pencil sharpener that nearly stalls the engine out. one branch wasn't 100% chipping and got sucked in the chipper jamming it up badly. An hour later we managed to get it un-jammed.

This is noisy, dirty, dusty, hot, and dangerous work. It's just under 100 degrees out.

Breaking parts on the little chippers means we need a bigger tool for the job. The chipper chute I keep breaking the welds on... Course it's NLA as Crapsman went to a plastic chute for later production.

2 - Copy.jpg

So I just picked up a Bolens MC2800 that appears to be similar to a W-W Grinder Renegade 250 Chipper. Of course it's missing the obsolete screen and pins. However with 8HP it chips wood a lot faster and into bigger chips. It sucks in the bush like branches dangerously fast, but, without the shove, shove, jam, pull, shove it in drama. Things a monster... :woot: Without the screen it likes to tenderize them and spit the branches out some impaled a couple inches into the dirt. At this point tenderizing the branches makes them easier to to feed into the 5HP Craftsman.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600a.jpg

1 - Copy.jpg

So what size screen should I get or attempt to make the "rod and roller" setup? The screens appear to be on eBay (reproductions) and expensive. Of course parts are NLA for this antique.

screen.jpg rods_rollers.jpg

Last edited:
That sounds like a terrible job. LOL
That is very nice, You helping out a Marine.
It is hot there, it was snowing here today. LOL Below freezing for tonight. LOL
I did get the springler system blowed out and the garden hoses all drained and put away.

So I made the Rods and Rollers down at the hardware store. Managed to get 4 to fit and the 5th was bent wrong using too much of the 16" length to fit the 14" width. Rather than weld washers I bent the ends then drilled the other end for cotter pins. Still doesn't shred very well. It does tenderize the impossible to feed branches into a broken up pile that we then feed into the 5 HP shredder. I used galvanized pipe cut to 13.80" for the rollers. The chipper section is a beast.

Turned this pile:
cu-sticks.jpg

Into sawdust:

cleanup.jpg

Put the banana truck to work as well. 2nd load of old tires.

cu_tires.jpg

We have already hauled off over 2 tons of scrap metal.

So one of the 5HP chippers started to go balls to the wall sticking the throttle wide open. Shut down and then works fine. Looked for sticks in the throttle linkage and nothing. (Stick pun intended.) Mechanical governor Briggs. Finally in testing the throttle was jammed and not moving. Tore the air filter off and UH-HO!

chipperbolt1.jpg

So put the engine on it's side and managed to get the bolt out of the butterfly.

chipperbolt.jpg

:eek: What do you think I used: Red or Blue to hold the SOB's in place?

They have been working hard with another former jungle area now a chip pile...

chip_pile.jpg

Last edited:
I think You should put up a voting poll about the red or blue loktite. LOL
be My guess though that you probably went back together with the red stuff.
That screw could have been a major disaster.

The hell with the homeowner class "toy" chippers.

We borrowed a Bandit 65XP. 38HP. :D Autofeed!!!

It left this pile after two days of use.

chip pile.jpg

chippile2.jpg

Remember the "Jungle" pic above, well this is after:

jungle_gone.jpg

Last edited:
Was that brick wall behind all that brush that is in the first pic on this page ?
Whatever, that looks real neat and clean too.

YES! Why do you think the single digit horse power chippers were attempting suicide? :D Not brush it was trees and the little ones ate a lot of it and time. I thought there would have been more trees in total making the impassable jungle picture. It was a total of 4 trees.

Still working on it, but, so far: 7 Weekends, 3 (40) yard dumpsters filled, 9,000 Lbs of metals recycled, 400 Lbs of aluminum, 15 gal used oil dropped off, 2 pickup loads of tires removed, Live killer bee nest removed at the start of all this.

Don't need any more vehicle issues with The Town... :facepalm:

The local VFW has helped some with part of a Dumpster fee.

killerbees.jpg

So you hauled out two pickup loads of tires, huh? That should keep Patch and Banana rolling for a while to come! Ha!

Just an update over a year later. You go into a situation like this, clean up, where the amount of work is "overwhelming" thus nothing gets done. In this case the clean up project wasn't totally complete when we were done helping. Massive amount was done.

Just sharing that the disabled Marine vet has kept at it and finished the clean up themselves.

Back