• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Chevy 1500 Turbo Four Banger For 2019

BIGR

Lucky To Be Here
Reaction score
Anybody for a Chevy 2.7-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine rated at 310 hp and 348 lb-ft of torque, offered for the first time ever in 2019.

Was just reading that on the internet, guess GM has to have a response to the Ford ECO Boost?

So it's pretty funny all the people saying fords were junk because of the aluminum.
Well guess what the 19 1500's have?
I can't find any curb weight ratings yet on the 19 with the 2.7. But comparatively the 150's with the EcoBoost were right under 5,000lbs. People like them for running around empty, but they are a dog with any towing. And the mpg goes down considerably.
Unless the 1500 is way lighter, I don't see people being too happy with it.
And now ford is coming out with that f150 diesel.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Yeah, I am unimpressed when a $70,000 truck can’t control a downhill test like that when it is brand new. WTH when it has 75,000 miles on it and it’s out of warranty?

The numbers are like a descent 6.5 imo. I would really like to see a 35/40 hybrid on a p400/ 4l85e compare.
Although, I have to admit that noise level would be nice in my Hummer- haha. Hopefully the planned 2 each end to end MBRP as my exhaust stack will get it closer.

They had the same problem twice on the down hill run. It would be nice if they added Fords explanation at the end of the video.

Yeah, I am unimpressed when a $70,000 truck can’t control a downhill test like that when it is brand new. WTH when it has 75,000 miles on it and it’s out of warranty?

The numbers are like a descent 6.5 imo. I would really like to see a 35/40 hybrid on a p400/ 4l85e compare.
Although, I have to admit that noise level would be nice in my Hummer- haha. Hopefully the planned 2 each end to end MBRP as my exhaust stack will get it closer.

Yea what a shame, looks like back to the drawing board for Ford on the baby powerstroke and ten speed, unless maybe that truck was a Lemon?

Be interesting to see if those guys run another Ford F150 down the Gauntlet with the baby powerstroke and ten speed to see if it does the same thing?

So it's pretty funny all the people saying fords were junk because of the aluminum.
Well guess what the 19 1500's have?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Personally, I've defended ford, from the beginning, on having aluminum sheet metal, even though I despise blue ovals. GM still only added a few panels with aluminum, not the whole body, unfortunately. They'll get there, eventually, and will catch up with ford in this area. Again, I don't like fords in any way and have never owned one, but on this one, they got it right in my opinion.

The GM test results are stupid on that account. Any moron that abuses their bed like that, throwing stones and blocks in deserves to have holes ripped into it. To be quite honest, if someone abuses a +$70k vehicle, they'll destroy other things way before they need to worry about holes in the bed. I cringe when I hear someone say "it's just a truck". Just a truck?? They paid more for it than I paid for my first house!!

This comes to mind when I think about someone dropping blocks into a truck bed from a height like that.

a55hat.jpg

The aluminum thing is silly to me. Plastic bed liner or any of the bed coating stuff if a person is going to work the truck.

My hummer is aluminum except the doors and hood. The only place I got a ding is in one of the steel doors.

When I knocked down the block wall, i put the foam sheet on the hood expecting a block or two to hit it. Sure enough 1 hit the foam and the hood is fine. If some dumby has a front end loader drop blocks or scrap metal, whatever into the bed unprotected like a junkyard truck- they deserve to have a junkyard quality bed.

Guess I am lost on the fuss over non-steel.

GM used an aluminum hood in the late 80's in (at least) one of their econo-boxes.

And sometime after that, they started to use plastic body panels on a wide range of vehicles . . .

Then again, this was in the car lineup and I did not track what went into the trucks.

Even a hair farther off subject was Saturn cars with plastic body panels. Great little cars. Lightweight, strong, no dents even possible.

My wife and I owned 1 for about a week and she got tboned by a Olds delta88 doing 70. Wife had stitches in side of head from glass cutting her. Otherwise fine. 3 of 5 teens in olds, all wearing seatbelts, were moderate injuries (dash and wheel contact). Other 2 kids in back seat were fine. We looked for another low mileage Saturn, but never found any for good price. People here held onto them like gold. A friend still has one, 2 engine, 1 trans, and over 600,000 miles.

People need to get over the misnomer the big steel is the safest or longest lasting. It’s not 1940 people.

The aluminum thing is silly to me. Plastic bed liner or any of the bed coating stuff if a person is going to work the truck.

My hummer is aluminum except the doors and hood. The only place I got a ding is in one of the steel doors.

When I knocked down the block wall, i put the foam sheet on the hood expecting a block or two to hit it. Sure enough 1 hit the foam and the hood is fine. If some dumby has a front end loader drop blocks or scrap metal, whatever into the bed unprotected like a junkyard truck- they deserve to have a junkyard quality bed.

The last 3 or 4 trucks I have owned have had plastic bed liners in the bed. Some people say the bed liner will cause a bed to rust out, sorry I have not seen that yet, could have been some surface rust under them maybe, maybe not. The daily driver (S-10) and my 2500HD have bed liners, but they do have a camper shell on each one. I suppose that cuts down on water getting in the bed under the liner. I can't imagine a problem unless I hauled something corrosive like fertilizer or salt and it made its way under the liner and it was not washed out over time maybe?

You guys can't be serious defending a weaker higher cost product. Not all pickups are treated like grocery getters. Yeah the "profit" on them is getting out of hand for "cost".

Regardless that higher cost should get a better product. $70,000+ 3/4 - 1 ton had better be able to take a brutal beating more so than a 1/2 ton. GM is also going thin on their 3/4 - 1 ton beds, but, they have a real point where the aluminum Ford beds ARE NOT STRONG ENOUGH! Simply make the aluminum thicker. DUH! No need to defend a bean counter making a product unfit for purposes intended. Frankly weaker than the older trucks and weaker than the thinner beds GM is using is unacceptable.

The GM commercial is a well-deserved black eye to Ford. Hopefully GM doesn't earn that black-eye as well as they have been on track to do so with thinner beds.

I have a picture via the mirror of the loader dropping a ton of landscaping rocks into the bed of the 2008 Duramax like a commercial they had at the time: 'get used to it' Where a truck owner is in a construction zone at a stop sign. In his mirror he watches a loader dump a load of dirt into the bed of his truck. Then the sign flips to slow... I do this to Patch as well.

Bedliners do rub the paint off under the ribs and I imagine could rust there. Rocks will knock the paint off as well.

S#!t never stays still on the slippery bed liners. One must go to the painted on style for stuff to stay still: and that offers no further strength protection like the drop in plastic style liners.

Oil field equipment loading the 1 ton Fords to their limits like Halliburton or the oilfield service Co. my dad worked for. In a hurry and dropping heavy equipment into the beds was the norm. Job done we go home 'loading' wasting our time between 'done' and 'home'... the items tossed in the bed were a order of magnitude stronger than said pickup. Water pump failure driven till the truck 'made it': replace diesel engine.

Yeah hired hands will beat up a pickup. No reason to make it more expensive and easier to beat up!

One thing we did do is add 3/4" marine grade plywood to the bed floor of the company pickups. Remove included slippery plastic bedliners and you couldn't give those away. Yeah, the 1990's GM 1/2 ton beds weren't strong enough alone to take the beating for 250,000 miles of oilfield work. The mud, when it would rain, snapped rear axles getting un-stuck.

Not just hired hands. Yes, it's a pickup and "No!" I won't help you move. Some owners expect the pickup to actually "work".

I have a rubber mat on the bottom of my 2500HD bed liner and it does pretty good as far as a non skid surface.

Yelp without a mat the plastic bed liner is pretty dang slippery.

Yeah the aluminum is more expensive, but savings in fuel mileage is what they are buying. Notice I said THEY...
I won’t be buying a $70,000 anything unless it has an address.

I know what your saying about it being normal to load trucks with loaders. I could operate twin sticks & joystick loaders well before high school. I worked after school starting my freshman year running a cat 988 at a sand and gravel open pit mine. Loaded something like 3,000 pickup beds. But the difference of guys with a metal bed and aluminum ones at the mine a really good friend is doing the same job I did before (different company & location) is loading plenty of aluminum beds that all do the same thing as th steel ones- rhino liner type coating.

If a company is going to buy a $70,000 truck, and not invest a couple hundred dollars into taking care of it- they are just stupid.

I had people come in and have me load them 1.25- 1.5 tons into a 1/2 ton pickup all the time. Their liability, not mine, not our companies. One Toyota left after the owner shoveled it out right there so a tow truck could drag his busted axle pickup on the flat bed. I just laughed. Stupid people everywhere. Hell I know a guy that used his hummer to knock down cement block walls. Haha But I knew what I was risking.

I get what you’re saying about getting less rig for more money. But part of the 70k is the little knob so a person doesn’t touch their steering wheel when backing up a trailer. And Toyota had it before them, and include is as part of a normal package. So realize it isn’t all roughnecks out there buying pickups anymore. If it was there wouldn’t be a single gas engine truck over 10 years old with a price tag over $1,200 or diesel over $3,000 like it used to be.

Yeah the aluminum is more expensive, but savings in fuel mileage is what they are buying. Notice I said THEY...
I won’t be buying a $70,000 anything unless it has an address.

I know what your saying about it being normal to load trucks with loaders. I could operate twin sticks & joystick loaders well before high school. I worked after school starting my freshman year running a cat 988 at a sand and gravel open pit mine. Loaded something like 3,000 pickup beds. But the difference of guys with a metal bed and aluminum ones at the mine a really good friend is doing the same job I did before (different company & location) is loading plenty of aluminum beds that all do the same thing as th steel ones- rhino liner type coating.

If a company is going to buy a $70,000 truck, and not invest a couple hundred dollars into taking care of it- they are just stupid.

I had people come in and have me load them 1.25- 1.5 tons into a 1/2 ton pickup all the time. Their liability, not mine, not our companies. One Toyota left after the owner shoveled it out right there so a tow truck could drag his busted axle pickup on the flat bed. I just laughed. Stupid people everywhere. Hell I know a guy that used his hummer to knock down cement block walls. Haha But I knew what I was risking.

I get what you’re saying about getting less rig for more money. But part of the 70k is the little knob so a person doesn’t touch their steering wheel when backing up a trailer. And Toyota had it before them, and include is as part of a normal package. So realize it isn’t all roughnecks out there buying pickups anymore. If it was there wouldn’t be a single gas engine truck over 10 years old with a price tag over $1,200 or diesel over $3,000 like it used to be.

A classic for sure, some can not back a trailer worth a darn, heck it just takes practice, I can back a 18 foot equipment trailer easier than my 6x8 utility trailer. I think a lot of it is an acquired skill when we were young, some never get to experience any seat of the pants experiences.

I drove vehicles and tractors on the farm long before I was legally old enough to drive. I drove farm tractors off those big hills, that didn't hardly have a sign of a brake. One Case 300 only had about enough brake to hold you on the hill if you were stopped. Forget stopping it if you were going down hill, just had to gear it down and go at a 45 degree angle down the steepest hills so you didn't blow the engine before you got to the bottom of the hill. We had a 650 Case Tractor that had real good brakes, I run it from time to time. Was Lucky from time to time to run a Diesel 1200 David Brown Tractor, it was nice. I had a few close calls on those hills over the years, thank god, I am still here.

Back to the aluminum discussion, I really like steel for a hard working truck.

So would an option, light thin aluminum bed or heavy gauge steel bed be better to give the customer?

Like easy use, prefer better mpg/power then get aluminum. Hard working truck use thicker than current steel so it can really take a beating.

Seems like that shouldn’t be hard to do.

Does the side of the bed Bring aluminum or steel matter?

So would an option, light thin aluminum bed or heavy gauge steel bed be better to give the customer?

Like easy use, prefer better mpg/power then get aluminum. Hard working truck use thicker than current steel so it can really take a beating.

Seems like that shouldn’t be hard to do.

Have a tough steel inner layer for inside the bed, but aluminum or composite for the outer shell?

Give us some corrosion protection of course for the outer body section.....

Personally, I'd be all over aluminum for the rust protection, alone. The abuse on aluminum argument goes away with aluminum semi dump trailers. For the guy that wants a tow motor to be able to drive on his, he gets a thicker floor, but it doesn't change to steel. for the guy that wants to keep from beating up the sides, it gets plywood on the inside that can be replaced. Regardless, it doesn't have to be abused. It's a matter of choice.

I actually do not care what the composition is as long as it does the job that I need it to do. Shoot, can probably go with wood and composite beds for all I care. Naturally, economics do factor into the equation though.

And by the way, the vehicles I referred to earlier were:
- Olds used aluminum for the hood.
- Caddy used plastic for the quarter panels.

As noted, not all pickups work hard which begs the question of why the bed material is not a customization feature like many other aspects of the vehicle. Oh, wait, the accountants would never go for that idea. Just like they abandoned the idea of spec'ing a manual transmission ;)

Back