• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Check Your TCM Mounting!

btfarm

America First!
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
I know these are bad photos but you'll get the idea... (After Christmas I intend to be posting some DECENT pics!);)

I was getting fuel this AM and heard a slight noise at the front that led me to think I had an idler going bad. Went home and washed the truck then popped the hood to check fluids etc. This is what I found on the drivers side::eek:

attachment.php

It was riding on the belt, just laying there.:wtf:

Picked it up, turned it over and I see there's been some friction going on...:mad2:

attachment.php

I always kinda wondered why it was just sitting there behind a clip and it has 3 mounting holes (ears) but no bolts or screws. On the LH side ear there is a hole in the shroud that lines up. A plastic drywall anchor fits just right and with a pan head screw and fender washer it's now trapped behind that big clip on the right.:thumbsup: Here's the ear I put the screw/washer in.

attachment.php

Damn glad I took a look!

Attachments

• TCM3.jpg
    TCM3.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 155
  • TCM2.JPG
    TCM2.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 139
  • TCM1.JPG
    TCM1.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 141
That's what I was thinking.

Lucky that's all that happen. What if it dropped inside the belt..Ouch!

Could this be something that came loose due to the accident, Mike?
I wondered that too Bud and I've been wracking my brain trying to remember if I noticed no fasteners before (I think I did). If it DID have a fastener on the LH side (the only one with a hole) then the body shop missed it. If that's the case then I'm real surprised it took 7 months for it to fall off. That could have gotten REAL pricey. When one of you '06 guys goes to look at yours (you KNOW you're gonna...):h) let me know what you see on the left.

I'll get pictures for you today Mike.

Here is mine:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC00130.jpg
    DSC00130.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC00131.jpg
    DSC00131.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 98
Jeff, do you have a fastener on the LH ear that goes through the shroud? Thanks for the pics but I can't see the ear there.
BTW, check the vent port in your overflow tank cap. Your upper hose looks a bit flat.

Jeff, do you have a fastener on the LH ear that goes through the shroud? Thanks for the pics but I can't see the ear there.

Mike, the hole on the left has a push pin in it. The other holes are empty and there are no other holes for mounting in the shroud. The only thing holding it in is the clip on the right and the push pin on the left.

BTW, check the vent port in your overflow tank cap. Your upper hose looks a bit flat.

Try cleaning the bottom of the cap in the sink.

Yep, it appears I need a new cap (or clean this one) for my coolant tank.

Mike, the hole on the left has a push pin in it. The other holes are empty and there are no other holes for mounting in the shroud. The only thing holding it in is the clip on the right and the push pin on the left.
I tried to put a fender liner size pin in there but it was a bit too big. That's why I went with the wall anchor/screw/washer deal.
I think Bud's right. The body shop guys must have missed that anchor. Still... 7 months just sitting there, unless, of course, it had a push pin that came out.
Thanks for looking Bill:thumbsup:

I saw this same thing posted somewhere some time ago. I dont know if it was here or the other site but i remember reading where someones TCM had fallen down on the belt. May be a problem with the fastener and how it was installed.

Update...

I found the plastic push pin that holds it laying on the floor in my shop right below where it SHOULD have been... What are the odds of that? Must have been rattling around and finally fell off from where it dropped to. I'll stick with my new mounting method. Much more secure.:thumbsup:

I found the plastic push pin that holds it laying on the floor in my shop right below where it SHOULD have been... What are the odds of that? Must have been rattling around and finally fell off from where it dropped to. I'll stick with my new mounting method. Much more secure.:thumbsup:

Mike, glad to see you found the push pin. Because of what happened to you I removed my push pin and swapped it out for a stainless steel 1/4-20 X 3/4 cap screw, washer and a nylock nut. I just was not going to trust a .10 part with my TCM after seeing what happened to you.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0641 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0641 (Medium).JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_0644 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0644 (Medium).JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 272
Good idea. I think I will do this myself.

mike, same thing happened to my dad's lbz. he was able to get it replaced under warranty.

shitty fastening system if you ask me.

Far better to be safe than sorry to the tune of big $ and dead on the roadside when the belt takes your TCM for it's last ride...:eek:
That push pin is freakin' lame as hell for that application.:nono:

I saw this thread and made a note to pop my hood to check. Guess what I'm missing? My TCM looks like Jeff's in post #6 of this thread. Off to the hardware store for some stainless fasteners...

I saw this thread and made a note to pop my hood to check. Guess what I'm missing? My TCM looks like Jeff's in post #6 of this thread. Off to the hardware store for some stainless fasteners...

Yep, I need to fix mine up.

So I just went out to check my TCM and low and behold my pin is gone. Installed a m6 bolt lock washer and nut and explained to the wife unit that you guys just saved us a bunch of money and your not Geico. :smile5:

Back