• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Changing Rear Diff fluid

Marauderer

Grumpy Old Cur***geon
Reaction score
I have read the archives and looked around but, I have a few questions.

1. I don't plan on pulling the diff cover. I will use my Pella extractor to suck out the old fluid. Does anyone see a problem with that.

2. I p[lan to refill the diff just till it starts to leak out the fill hole. Is that the acceptable level or should I be below the hole a certain amount.

3. And yes I will be using Amsoil 75-90 gear lube.

4. I am thinking of putting a magnet on the diff somewhere to get the magnetic perticles out of solution. Any suggestions on where to install said magnet?

If you are talking about changing the rear differential fluid in your '07, there should be a drain plug that you can use. I have used a suction type extractor on other differentials with success, though.

While you do not want to overfill, coming barely up the bottom lip of the fill hole is fine. I believe that the level spec is 5 mm below the bottom edge.

I have never tried the extra magnet idea, but believe that the drain plug itself is magnetized.

I have read the archives and looked around but, I have a few questions.

1. I don't plan on pulling the diff cover. I will use my Pella extractor to suck out the old fluid. Does anyone see a problem with that.

2. I p[lan to refill the diff just till it starts to leak out the fill hole. Is that the acceptable level or should I be below the hole a certain amount.

3. And yes I will be using Amsoil 75-90 gear lube.

4. I am thinking of putting a magnet on the diff somewhere to get the magnetic perticles out of solution. Any suggestions on where to install said magnet?

I will also be doing this tomorrow.

1. There is no need to pull the cover as there is a plug in the bottom of the diff.

2. The fill spec is to fill the diff to within .6 to .8 below the bottom of the filler plug hole.

3. Oil would be by preference.

4. IIRC the plug has a magnet built into it but adding an additional one could not hurt. I would put it on the cover close to the bottom so the gathered materials are closer to the drain hole.

Last edited:
Thanks Bud and Bill.

as for the magnet placement i am concerned about the lube turbulence at 75 mph on the road and wonder if it will be sufficient to keep the particles flushed off the magnet??

My bad for not looking close enough at the diff. I went down and crawled under the truck and saw the fill plug in the cover and figured that was it. Again My Bad!!

I'd just let the plug magnet do it's job unless you are going to use a very strong one. If you do have a good one just put it on the drain plug to 'help' the other one. I've always filled to the bottom of the fill hole. Takes just about 4 qts. If you're doing this by squeezing a bottle it helps to take the spare out to give you more room to work. Fortunately I made a gear lube tank, which makes mine easier, and do both front and rear at the same time. 6 qts total.

Oil Tank.jpg Tank1.jpg

Wow, I like your tank Mike. I used just shy of 4 qts. and it started to overflow.

The drain plug is really nice. 3/8 female connection so my 3/8 ratchet fit right in and my 15 mm wrench removed the fill plug. My first factory drain plug. In the past I always had to remove the cover to drain. So now that I have a Pella extractor I have a drain plug. Who would have thunk it.

The old fluid had the grape juice smell and it looked like considerable less than the 4 qts I put in.

I guess I am ready for 1200 mi in the next three days.

Thanks for everyone's input. It sure made it easy for me to get er done.

Duh, I wish I had been a more prolific reader and knew that 16K mi ago. But, better late than never and there was not very much on the magnetic drain plug so it is all Good!!

Mike, you need to update your Sig. You are missing one of your clubs.:thumbsup::hihi::eek:

Back