• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Changing injectors

jhornsby3

Reaction score
Well time to replace the injectors and I have all the stuff but could use the help of someone that has changed them before. If you live near the McMinnville Oregon area and would like to help I have some deerburgers and some Black Butte Porter for when the job is done. :thumbsup:

Anyone want to help a brother out?:D

John

I'd be there in a heartbeat, but you're a bit far for me, even with the enticement of the deer burgers. :mad2:

However, I've done these a couple of times, both of them the hard way so feel free to PM or call if needs be.

Paul

Oh and BTW I was told by a very great shop to not buy those install kits. (90 bucks at crapa:eek:) but to go to a small engine shop and get the 1/8" fuel hose. No clamps just the hose and it's all that is needed.

John

YES!! get the clampless hose-soooo much easier (vitrol?? I cant remember what the hose is called), I removed passenger fender well and everything was pretty easy. would love to help if you could get Oklahoma to swap state positions with ya.

you got a 30mm deep well socket for the injectors?

You don't want OK to move this way trust me. Too much rain this year. I'm starting to think that the new front lawn was a mistake as the driveway is greener than the grass. Need to mow the moss now.:D

I was going to leave the inner fender, just remove the rubber skirt, and just go ahead and remove the turbo and heat sheild. Looked like it would be just the same as the drivers side that way.

Got the tubing from the mower shop for 9 bucks over the 200 from the stealer and 90 from crapa. Found the good stuff in two types. One is like a silicon type and the other is a teflon type tubing.

I even found that AutoZone has the Peek antifreeze for sale for $11 bucks with a $3 off making it worth buying all of it at one time so now I have to pull the radiator and do all that too. Was going to start it today but got called into work so I have next weekend to look forward to all of the work on the pick up.:eek: I just need to find a commuter car and let the ol girl sit for a few

John

I'd help you in a heartbeat if you weren't so far away....sorry.

I pulled the turbo off and the heat shield on the manifold. I did not remove the inner fender as it was not necessary.....in fact I didn't remove it when I swapped the glows either. It's a fairly easy job. Just get a 30mm deep well socket from AZ - IIRC was less than $16.00...for some reason Advance was a lot higher. It's a little slow but not real difficult.

Good luck!

Make dang sure the old copper washer comes off with the old injectors...sometimes they like to cling to the head. And, just as important, make sure the new copper washer makes the trip from above the fender to the hole - they like to slide off the injector as you tip them downward before screwing them in. Somebody on here had a handy tip regarding installation of the new injectors and keeping the washer on......can't remember who right now.

I pulled the turbo off and the heat shield on the manifold. I did not remove the inner fender as it was not necessary.....in fact I didn't remove it when I swapped the glows either. It's a fairly easy job. Just get a 30mm deep well socket from AZ - IIRC was less than $16.00...for some reason Advance was a lot higher. It's a little slow but not real difficult.

Good luck!

Make dang sure the old copper washer comes off with the old injectors...sometimes they like to cling to the head. And, just as important, make sure the new copper washer makes the trip from above the fender to the hole - they like to slide off the injector as you tip them downward before screwing them in. Somebody on here had a handy tip regarding installation of the new injectors and keeping the washer on......can't remember who right now.

Did you take the downpipe off to do your glowplugs?

Good luck!

:iagree::iagree:

When I did my injectors I had a couple of the old copper washers still stuck very well in the head. Someone on here (can't remember who) suggested a good sharp chisel and a good pick to get them out. Worked great got a little into the seat though.

I pulled out my inner fender just for more and easier access, just easier to see what you're doing IMO. Pretty straight forward though. If you have them rebuilt or buy new ones I suggest keeping the plastic caps on the injectors until the absolute last minute when the injector lines go back on to keep dirt out.

only pulled fender, downpipe, line clips- x2 on leaving caps on. hardest part was removing hose clips on back injectors. I am no pro, but pm me if you would like a backup phone number

Thanks for the tips all. I'm sure I will get them with no real issues. Or with lots like normal for me.:eek:

Looks like I be eating deer burgers and drinking beer all by myself. Lucky me.:D

John

aint it funny how guys will help a another person out for just the promiss of good food and beer i know i would and a good steak dinner is always awsome payment for helping a buddy

JiFaire, I am back to working in furniture repair where all the people I deal with are mad. I have two young kids and my coworkers don't seem to want to do their jobs. You would be suprised at how much patience I have. :eek:)

John

Once I had the line off the injector and returns off, I ran my shop vac hose over the injector to suck out any dirt or sand that had made its way down in the cavity over the years. I did the same thing once the injector was out to get any remaining debris.

On a side note, just be sure you don't have a shop rag sitting on the top of the intake (or maybe it was at the end of the intake plenum - can't remember) or it's possible to suck it into the intake when you find the cylinder that has an intake valve open.:D

Did you take the downpipe off to do your glowplugs?

Sorry, I didn't see this question earlier.
No, I did not remove the DP. Keep in mind, I'm in Florida so there is nothing rusty on my engine. Every bolt, GP, injector etc. all come out with ease. I just used a 1/4 inch ratchet and a deep well 10mm socket - had to do the one behind the DP from above(it's a tight fit but was no problem) - all the rest on the passenger side came out through the gap in the body and frame.

Sorry, I didn't see this question earlier.
No, I did not remove the DP. Keep in mind, I'm in Florida so there is nothing rusty on my engine. Every bolt, GP, injector etc. all come out with ease. I just used a 1/4 inch ratchet and a deep well 10mm socket - had to do the one behind the DP from above(it's a tight fit but was no problem) - all the rest on the passenger side came out through the gap in the body and frame.

In my case, I just loosen up the DP clamp. So I have wiggle room to work on the one behind the DP. But I have my fender off.

Finaly got the time to do those injectors and now I can't seem to get the clamp off the down pipe. I have it loose but that thing is acting like it's welded in place. This is turning into a PITA for sure. Gut feeling. And no I'm not related to Leroy Jethro Gibbs.

John

Finaly got the time to do those injectors and now I can't seem to get the clamp off the down pipe. I have it loose but that thing is acting like it's welded in place. This is turning into a PITA for sure. Gut feeling. And no I'm not related to Leroy Jethro Gibbs.

John

do you have it all the way loose iirc it has to be very loose to come off they are kinda a pain both to put on and take off i think

Back