• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

CDR Valve replacement

BPley

Reaction score
hey guys, im pretty new here i suppose, but i am believing the CDR on my 98 6.5td is ready for a change, i would also like to change the connecting hoses and the rubber seal (grommit) that goes into the valve covers..

locally i am not having much luck, i can get one through GM in a couple days for $120 CAD, but apparently the hosing and seal are discontinued :nonod:

i see a few places online that offer these products, and all are similarly priced, but the only places selling the hose and seal is SS Diesel. the CDR from them is $59

so more or less just wondering if anyone has any experience with this product from SS Diesel and if the price is "too good to be true"

Thanks folks, hopefully i can get some pics up soon and show off my baby :D

cheers

SSD only ships UPS so it might not be a very good deal for Canadians. I'd just clean it I haven't found any solvent that would hurt it. Just plug the pin hole so it doesn't get trapped in there.

First: :welcome2:

Bought a CDR fro SS about two years ago and as far as I can tell it is still Ok.

Take a look at GMPartsGiant, GMPartsCenter, and ChevyPartsZone as I am able to find most of the rigging for the breather system; also, they have schematics. Might have to pay in USD though and get taxed at the border.

SS Diesel has a horrible reputation for selling junk and not warranting it. CDR's don't usually fail. Likely you don't need to replace it.

jeez, the internet says to replace at roughly 30,000 mile intervals..

haha

so as far as cleaning goes, say just clean externally, and blow some brake cleaner or carb cleaner in and blow it out with air kinda deal? or is it possible to take this unit apart?

sorry guys im pretty new to engine work.. and definitely not schooled in the ways of the diesel :S

NAPA online has the grommet for $3.49 part number is NOE 7031301. They also have a CDR valve but it's around $100. O'Reilly Auto Parts also have the CDR but they call it a PCV. Don't know their price but the part number is EC245.

Do you know Napa's prt# for the CDR?

I'm trying to post a pic as to why this is stressing me out... But using a tablet doesn't make this easy lol,

Ak I read your post, seems simple enough for the cleaning, but this thing is leaking oil at inlet and outlet... Was hoping to just replace all parts involved and worry no more...

Rock Auto has them as $57.79 for the CDR ( AC Delco part ) and $1.65 for the grommet. Look under emissions. One inch heater hose ( from local parts store ) should take care of the rubber to metal tube. Cannot comment on shipping to Canada.

Chevypoor, I could not find the grommit on rock auto, I have my local ac delco parts guy helping me here, but he can't find what I am trying to explain... And I could not find the grommit on the rock auto website... Lol

I went to there website, clicked 1995 c2500. Then I clicked 6.5 turbo diesel, then open the emissions tab, then open the tab titled " PCV Valve / Crankcase Ventilation Grommet ". Where they come up for the names for this stuff I will never know. Hope this helps.

Found it! Sick, thanks for the help guys,

Ordered the grommit, should be in tomorrow or Saturday.. Hopefully a good cleaning on the CDR itself and hose replacement / cleaning will stop these leaks.. If not, pats auto can hook me up with a CDR for $100...

Canadian prices suck, but when you are considered northern Canada, it gets even worse! Haha

Cheers, probably for the sake of it, I will put the cleaned up pics on this post when I'm finished :D

you need to check and see how much blowby you have, if you have quite a bit your never going to stop up all the oil leaks.

It's a process I suppose, bought the truck in march or April 2013, and never had the time or money to do anything with it except the necessities.. Now I am starting to fix her up slowly.. Big dirty oil leak on top of the valve cover seemed to be important to me at the time.

Sorry for sounded like a noob, but how do you do a blow by test on this?

Compression test? Or a leak down test?...

And to fix blow by issues, would that be piston rings replacement (or worse)?

quick and easy is to pull the oil fill cap. shouldn't have any vapors coming out on a real good engine. Mine chugs like a freight train but I have 270k on the clock. still runs and starts good tho

even at -30 it won't be hard to tell. the crankcase should have a slight vacuum on it. any vapors mean that the vacuum is being overcome by blowby.

You'r in Grande Prairie for Pete sake.
Just vent the bloody thing to the road and be done with it.
These CDR's work only at high boost levels and only when there's no blowby :rolleyes5:
I use to coat the the CDR nipple with a lick of silicone and push it in the grommet, it'll stop the oil sweating past
For the 2" hose i use 1" ID hydr return hose ,you prob get it for free at an hydr shop if they have a little chunk kicking around. ;)

Back