• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Car Code "Alex C. Peper" DB9 - usb adapter any substitute?

schiker

Reaction score
I have the old car code PC software by Alex C. Peper. I don't see his old website but he seems to have an android version of it with Carcoded dot com.

The version of CarCode I have uses a OBD-II plug to what I think is called a DB9 or RS-232 cable then a DB9 to usb adapter. The car code software seems to check all the PC ports for a signal then connects with a read signal.

I broke the original serial to usb adapter.

I tried to buy a generic serial to usb adapter but it requires a driver to work (side note the disc was broke in shipping so I don't have access to driver). I don't remember downloading any driver with Alex's adapter.

Anyone ever used any other method to connect Car Code to the vehicle other than original equipment?

Go to the adapters website, they usually have the drivers listed. I know the Radio Shack unit I have did.
Might be that the driver is a generic thing and most any companies driver might be acceptable.

There is a fluke chance if you plug in the cable to computer and car OBD port, the computer may automatically search for a driver?

Make sure you are still somewhere where there is wifi so the computer can go to the cyber space to look for it.

There is a fluke chance if you plug in the cable to computer and car OBD port, the computer may automatically search for a driver?

Make sure you are still somewhere where there is wifi so the computer can go to the cyber space to look for it.
YUP, I plumb forgot about that trick. LOL

Finally got it but I clicked on so much stuff not sure how.

I bought a "Plugable" usb adapter that came with a disc (it came in a box and the disc survived shipping). The computer is old running software that is out of date think its win 7. I couldn't down load a driver from the website to make sure its latest driver but it seemed to work. The other adapter was really cheap chinese knock off from amazon that did not have a website I would find.

Then you have to go to control panel then open the coms /ports and the usb adpater then go advanced and slow down buffer rate. Peper calls it the latency timer (not sure if it is his humor or if some call it that).

Back