• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

BW 4401 trouble

Twisted Steel Performance

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
Reaction score
Well I think my transfer case is going out...

This came on quick, at first I felt and could hear a "bump" when I let off the throttle, within a few miles it would seem to slide out of gear, I could ease back into the throttle and it would pop back into gear until I let off again. I tried 4H with no change, 4L doesn't do this.

So I do have a new nv4500 in it, I contacted the builder and he/we both think it's the t-case.

Has anyone experienced anything like this with a BW4401 ?

Chain is stretched and probably bent the mode shift fork. Both common and low priced parts.
Don’t keep driving it and forcing it in because it beats up and can break a gear in the carrier assembly. Haha never understood how they make that happen but it does. I might be guilty of that in the past...

All you can do is rip it out and pull apart on the bench. They are much easier to deal with than people think. Once you do one or two, you don’t worry about getting into them again.

Well I think my transfer case is going out...

This came on quick, at first I felt and could hear a "bump" when I let off the throttle, within a few miles it would seem to slide out of gear, I could ease back into the throttle and it would pop back into gear until I let off again. I tried 4H with no change, 4L doesn't do this.

So I do have a new nv4500 in it, I contacted the builder and he/we both think it's the t-case.

Has anyone experienced anything like this with a BW4401 ?

Exact same problem mine has, let off the throttle and it pops out of high, low range is the only usable gear.

In the middle of swapping mine right now

Back