• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Build your own FSD Extension Cable

89SWB1

Recruit
Reaction score
Earlier writeup on creating an extension cable with simple tools and pieces.

Being familiar and confortable with wiring, I decided to build my own cable for two reasons:
1) Primarily, I get a thrill out of doing it myself (if possible) versus purchasing from outside.
2) Second, I'm cheap. Seeing prices of $60+ for a 6' cable struck me as way to steep. More on this later.

Only components you need to build a 6' cable are:
- 36' of 16-ga wire. Bought it through Home Depot, make sure to get stranded
- 2 sealed connectors - I bought mine from Mouser Electronics, P/N 829-12066317. Cost was somewhere around $3 apiece
- 12 female terminals, again from Mouse, P/N 829-12103881
- 6' of 3/8" wire conduit from Autozone. 5ft section is $3. I had some extra from an earlier project, but you'll need 6' to do the job (unless you build a 5ft cable)

Nothing much to building the cable itself. Run the first strand of wire off the spool to give yourself an accurate measure of how much wire you'll need. 6ft took me to the front bumper, running first to the driver's side battery and down.

To use the connectors, follow this sequence:
1) run wires through the rubber seal on back
2) run wires through the black connector
3) attach terminals
4) pull wire back through connector, seating the terminals

More Cable Tips

Keep in mind that it is critically important to mount the wires in the proper sequence in the connectors or the PMD will not operate. The two female connectors need to be a mirror image of each other. The manufacturer makes it easier by labeling each slot A-F. Follow this layout and you'll be fine:

Connectors
#1 #2
A ------- F
B ------- E
C ------- D
D ------- C
E ------- B
F ------- A

When you get all the terminals seated properly in the connectors, slide it into the wire conduit and use electrical tape on each end to finish it off.

The reason two female connectors are used is that there is no source for the male connector from GM/Delphi. In place of the male connector, I used a female connector and pins cut from a jumbo paperclip. Sounds crazy, but they fit snugly in the terminal. Cut six 3/4" piece of paperclips and insert into one of the female ends of your cable. Slide the assembled pins into the female plug coming off the injection pump. DO NOT REMOVE THE GROUND WIRE FROM THE PUMP. To seal the connection, I used some more electrical tape then zip-tied the two connectors together.

Zip-tie the rest of the cable to the route you have selected, mount your PMD and you're good to go!

Hello in the free world (lol), There's a place by me that supposedly has PMD cable ends. I'm not sure if it would be breaking some sort of advertising rule or not, shoot, I don't even know if its a valid #, but If I'm allowed to show the #, somebody let me know. Otherwise PM me. I'll try to validate this claim that was forwarded on another forum.

The male end, Casper electronics part # 410015, the female end 413107. They are expensive.

Well, at least I know the names right. If it gets remooved, I under stand and 'pre' appalogize.

The # is: 1-847-247-0484

A great way to get stranded wire is your local auto part stores trailer wiring stock. It is wrapped in shielding and you can expose just enough to do your connections. OTOH the Trailer wiring might be 14 AWG?
For my Extension harness, I bought an IP cheap off of fleabay and then used the wiring harness off of it.

Back