• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Broken Ratchet

Thanks guys. I'mma go to Lowe's and Ace and check. They may only sell the whole sets, not individual ratchets, but I will check nonetheless.
Quality on those like everything else in this country has gone right into the sh!tter. I broke a couple of regular ratchets in the past. I took them back to SEARS store when they still had them. Only rstchets they had were the PRO series. So the guy upgraded me for free. But even this one broke...
Hi: My name is Jeff and I brake ratchets. Lol
I even broke a breaker bar. Go figure...

I have a set of Craftsman in the truck tool box with all 3 sizes. But unless I'm broke down away from the shop I only use my 1960s Snapon ratchets from when I was a rookie auto mechanic. I broke a couple of Craftsman ratchets in the 60s before I went away from them. I doubt the quality is still as good... Snapon too maybe.

Yes. I hear you Mike. My father had some craftsman stuff from way back. They were actually pretty good. All the new stuff comes from the junk makers.
Not sure why I keep breaking these things. Might be time to upgrade???
Just curious if I could fix the one I have.

All kinds of info about the rebuild kit for the Craftsman Ratchets, even some Youtube Videos where some guys rebuild them. I guess the biggest thing would be to figure out your ratchet model number and which repair kit to buy?

Actually ratchets can usually be had with coarse or fine teeth. Depending on how much swing you want before the "click"
For just regular meching, I like the fine tooth ratchet. On a nut or bolt thats difficult to reach, the fine tooth will usually ratchet instead of rocking the fastener forth and back. The fine tooth units might too but, many times they will turn the fastener into the desired direction.
If I want to get serious about tightening then the long handle flex head ratchet with the course teeths is hauled out.

All kinds of info about the rebuild kit for the Craftsman Ratchets, even some Youtube Videos where some guys rebuild them. I guess the biggest thing would be to figure out your ratchet model number and which repair kit to buy?

I checked out some of those vids. Completely different ratchet than mine. I just looked at the price of the kits. More than what I paid new for the ratchet. Lol
I'll just go buy a better brand I guess.

I checked out some of those vids. Completely different ratchet than mine. I just looked at the price of the kits. More than what I paid new for the ratchet. Lol
I'll just go buy a better brand I guess.
Cant go wrong with a Mac or a Snap On.
Even a old used Snap On that has failed, tool man will throw a kit in it and be good as new. If it even needs a kit. Most times a cleaning and lube and back together.
And its free, or it used to be.
Wore out Snap On sockets, be sure to somehow crack them, other wise they charge for a new one. That was advice from the Snap On man I used to deal with.

I remember once I hit the jackpot at a pawn shop, they had an old metal tool box the small hand held kind with a bunch of rusty tools in it. I got it for cheap took it home and soaked everything in some acid to clean them up. after I got to looking at them, there was a hand full of snapon tools mixed with all kinds of Chinese ones, I took them all to work and showed the tool man. he looked at them and swapped some of them out for new! I was a happy camper lol

I have a 1950s Snap On ratcheting crank handle. It has all of the bends of a crank handle and the head of a Snap On ratchet.
The Snap On man tried to get me to trade for a new crank handle and a new ratchet. I refused his offer.
He then comes on with a line of BS about how someone just bent a ratchet handle like that.
Thats when I threw onto Him, well then explain this handle that spins.
Oh yeah, I guess Your right. 😹😹😹

Back