• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Block heater wattage

chevyCowboy

I might be crazy but i ain't dumb
Reaction score
Any one know what the wattage of the block heaters are. i want to put mine on a timer so that is comes on at around 3am. to save a little on electricity but i want to make sure that the timer can handle it. i figure that 3hrs should get it warm enough to start decently or would it be best if i left it pluged in some nites a get home at 7pm and dont leave again till 6:30am and if i dont plug it in when i get home i tend to forget to.

i thought they were either 600 or 1000 watts. I didn't think they were so high in wattage. Learn something every day.

ill have to do some digging and see if i can find any info about the ones i put in (one on each side). i guess i didnt realize that there where different possibilitys for the wattage.

do you guys think that 3hrs will be long enough?

It really depends on the temp outside. With my dual 1000w heaters at -26f 1 hour is enough. just barely tho

I left my stock 600w in there, added a 1000w one.

Normal cold temps (0*C), just plugged in the 600. up to -25*C, just the 1000w. Anything past -25*C, I plugged both of 'em in.

I used 4 hrs (max on setting) on my timer, before I started.

You could also throw a heater, ceramic disc with tip over protection, in the cab for you and deicing the windows. Cord is always routed through the driver's side door so you don't forget it.

I suggest one would replace the block heater rather than adding some. I had the joy of changing a cracked head after the 5 year old factory block heater retainer failed and the heater departed the block on the freeway.

If you look at the flimsy block heater retainers... An inspection for leaks can give you advance warning as mine did drip the day before. Didn't know better back then as I assumed it had a better retainer.

Block heaters are pretty much mandantory around here. never seen one fall out in the 35 years I've been around them

Nope, me either. Of course, I usually let the missus kill my vehicles before the rust gets all the way thru to the block heater :D

I have one of those 24 hour timers with the dial and the adjustable stops - it's set to start the heater at 2 am, seems to be enough. I have the stock 600 watt heater.

I have one of those 24 hour timers with the dial and the adjustable stops - it's set to start the heater at 2 am, seems to be enough. I have the stock 600 watt heater.

I have the same thing. I think I have it set to turn on about 4am, off at 11am. When I leave in the morning, I move the cord from my truck to hers, so hers warms up too. If she doesnt leave by 11, she usually isnt going anywhere anyway. Works really well for us.

I have found that just an hour or 1 1/2 hrs is enough for me. I just do it so it doesn't sound so bad when I start it.

I also put a cheap battery tender 1.5a trickle charge on the same cord, so when I flip the switch and the truck gets power, my batts are also trickle charging a little. I like it.

Also, synthetic oil helps TONS for speed of crank.

Using the EBRAKE disables the Daylight running lamps which do go off when cranking, but are drawing when the pre-glow cycle is on. I believe the glows are hotter and it cranks better when the DRL are disabled during the WTS cycles.

Hey guys, I figure this is the time of the year for questions about block heaters so I fired up the EPC and gathered some data for you.

For 1992-1993 L65
12343981 - 600 WATT HEATER PKG, ENG BLK(INSTALL .5)(INTERNAL)(PKG INCLS HTR, CORD, STRAP, INSTR)
15737616 - CORD, ENG COOL HTR

For 1994-1995 L56/L65
Same as 1992-1993 + this option:
996246 - HEATER PKG, ENG BLK(INSTALL .75)(ENG BLK STAMPED HSG)
The RPO 8U5 is also associated with this heater. 8U5 - HEATER ENG BLOCK, DUAL (600 WATT)

For 1996 L56/L65
Same as 1992-1993

For 1997-1998 L56(S)
12371294 - HEATER PKG, ENG BLK(INSTALL .5)(INCLS HEATER, CORD, CLIP, 4 STRAPS & BRACKET)

For 1997-2000 L65(F)
Same as 1992-1993

In 1999-2000 There is an Accessory Package listed that is a 80W Battery Blanket.
10962544 - HEATER PKG, BAT(BLACK)(80 W)

Good info Devin. I bought the 600watt p/n 12343981 for my 88.

I'd like to note that these part numbers also fit pretty much any non LS gas motor, including 4.3L, 5.0L, 5.7L and 7.4L motors. The instructions that come with them show the best location and proper clocking for the heater.

Good info Devin. I bought the 600watt p/n 12343981 for my 88.

I'd like to note that these part numbers also fit pretty much any non LS gas motor, including 4.3L, 5.0L, 5.7L and 7.4L motors. The instructions that come with them show the best location and proper clocking for the heater.

Back