• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Beware of Hi-Run trailer tires - Unwarrantable seprated junk!!!

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score
:mad2: I love it when they dump garbage on the market.

I bought a new Haulmark Trailer in July 2009. Two weeks later the trailer was shaking the 2500 HD truck. Sure the trailer was an 2008, but the tires were made in 2006. :eek:

All 4 tires had separated including the spare that never was run!

I had to buy 4 new tires as the dealer didn't have the 16" tires in stock.

I have been unable to get HaulMark or Sutong CTR tire distributor to reimburse me or provide a set of replacement tires since. 6 Months.

If you are looking a a trailer equipped with Hi-run tires Insist they change it to another tire brand or figure the cost to replace them. Even Akret Chinese tires I got are better! (Wore them out with out separation.)

Pic 1 is the center tread higher than the shoulder tread.

Attachments

• ERFT1.jpg
    ERFT1.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 25
  • ERFT2.jpg
    ERFT2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 24
  • ERFT3.jpg
    ERFT3.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 24
  • ERFT5.jpg
    ERFT5.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 23
That is dangerous.

Good luck in getting them to make things right. I would think that the dealer would act on your behalf from a products warranty standpoint.

THAT'S damn scary! The Haulmark dealer ought to own up and do what's right even if they're not getting satisfaction out of the manufacturer.

Finally.

Check arrived from Haulmark reimbursing me for the defective tires and mounting/balance cost.

I bought a new 5th-wheel RV with TowMaster load range D tires (made in China). Had problems with 3 out of the 4 tires. One had a bubble on the sidewall and the other 2 had their belts separate from the tread. Replaced them with same manufacturer's load range E, went on a 8000 mile trip and blew 3 out of the 4 tires during the trip. The tread came off as if they were re-treads. Which they were not.

I have a set of five Hi Run's that I purchased one year and three weeks ago for our previous two year old 2013 28-ft travel trailer, which had TowMax (aka - BlowMax) tires on it from the factory.

While passing through Phoenix, AZ in Jan. 2015, a passing motorist waved at us to pull over . . . alerting us to a wheel bearing burnout which basically destroyed the whole axle.

Anyway, we wound up getting a temporary fix (cost $1000) just to get us home to Colorado, and then once home we ended up dropping another close to $4000 to get both axles and all four spring sets upgraded to a heavier duty set . . . which required all new wheels and tires (different bolt pattern - from 6 to 8 lugnuts)!

The shop in Denver that did all of the work for us recommended the Hi Run tires, so he set us up with five new Hi Run's and wheels!

Now, I questioned him on the quality of the Hi Run tires as I am well versed on the issues of the BlowMax tires.

This shop that did the work for us also is a trailer builder . . . flatbeds for hauling heavy excavating equipment, plus for those tiny house trailers that are becoming very popular, and he said that they put Hi Run's on every single trailer he builds and have not had a major problem with them.

So I went with the Hi Run's D-range tires . . .

One week after we picked up the trailer from them we took the trailer on a campout about 15 miles away from the house, and while out on a drive during the campout, we traded in that trailer (while it was sitting at the campground) for a new 2015 34-foot 5th-wheel trailer.

We picked that new 5th-wheel up one year ago this past Sunday (two days ago), and I had those Hi Run's removed from the steel wheels and put on the aluminum wheels of our new trailer, and had the BlowMax tires that came from the factory put on our bumper pull that we had just traded in.

We have put roughly 4000 miles on the new 5'ver and Hi Run tires (including a trip to Tucson, AZ a couple of months back) and so far they look as good as the day we bought them!

Our next long trip will be to Las Vegas, NV in October . . . I'll try to report back how the Hi Run's held out!

So far, I have to say that I would recommend the Hi Run's . . . as long as you pick the right ones for the trailer you intend to use them on.

Oh . . . no matter what anyone says . . . trailer tires DO need to be balanced, otherwise you will most likely experience issues like in the photos above!

@John Daniels Welcome to the fourm.

This was 7 years ago. Our Haulmark trailer dealer was buried in bad Hi-Run tires at the time waiting on warranty. Their front porch was covered in head high piles of bad Hi-run's. Maybe they improved or corrected the issue. Then again trailer tires have a bad reputation in general and deservedly so. This is above and beyond the age limit of 3-5 years before you throw them away regardless of tread wear.

I still wouldn't trust their warranty any farther than I could throw them - and as the trailer in question was delivering tires on a daily route so we were pretty good at throwing tires! Haulmark let us down on this one item and Sutong CTR tire distributor... Yeah 6 months waiting out of pocket - we wore out the replacement set of trailer tires in that time.

We were lucky none of them separated and damaged the trailer. That would have been even more warranty fun.

We did have one tire scare everyone back in the day. The spare tire (another brand) was worn out and less than 1 year old. Still had some tread left - but not something a DOT check would pass. While the trailer was in for warranty service it separated and blew out on the spare tire carrier. BOOM!!! Scared the mechanics pretty good.

The current trend is to use LT tires on trailers. For one thing they have a higher than 65 MPH speed rating. Trailer tires give you about 30K of service before they are bald - something not many people see as age usually kills them first.

Today if I was still delivering parts commercially I would look up and use 19.5" commercial trailer tires for example like ricksontruckwheels or Stockton wheels offers. http://www.ricksontruckwheels.com/ http://www.stocktonwheel.com/ I would consider the same on the towing vehicle just for longer than the 30-45K life the LT's get.

Actually if I owned any trailer in the AZ heat I would convert to 19.5's and replace them at 6 years old or if they dry rot sooner. Again checking to make sure the 19.5's speed rating I got could hang with the 75 MPH speed limits in AZ.

I have 2 hi runs in the bed of my truck with separated belts right now!

225/75 R15 E 10 ply

and almost exactly two years ago I had 4 of my TowMaster radials on my travel trailer separate after a month ... damaging the trailer... looked at the spare it was the same way...unused! same size 225/75/15 E

buying Chinese trailer tires is like a lottery...or a box of chocolates...

Last edited:
Back