• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Best Power Steering Pump and Steering Gear for 2006 C3500 Duramax

GM Guy

Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have fluid leaking out of the steering gear output on the 06 Duramax, and frankly have never been impressed with the performance of the system compared t a GMT400.

What is the best stuff quality'& longevity wise for a 06 C3500 that is never going to have bigger than 235/85r16 tires on it?

I do have the GM cooler and magnefine filter that will be going in at the same time.

I usually go OE grade Delco on many items, but IMO GM got cheap on us on these, so I am open to aftermarket solutions.

I hear good things about PSC, but then read the OEM lines dont line up well with it, and the steering shaft doesnt fit well.

I also hear good things about PSC pumps, but I also hear that a new pump for a 07.5-10 bolts right on and is cheaper.

I have good pedal feel, do you think my hydroboost is OK to leave alone and try just a pump and gear, or should I do the booster too? what about a reseal kit?

Ive convinced myself without a cooler, all the seals in the system cant be in great shape.

Finally, Ive been running Amsoil synthetic PS fluid in all my GM pickups that dont leak. Continue to use this, or Ive read some recommendations to run GM fluid?

Any info appreciated,
Thanks!

Is the box "loose" for steering slop? Does it take the same effort to turn both ways? (Leaking internal seal if not: reseal yours.)

If it's in good shape, not sloppy, just put a new seal on it and call it a day. I don't recall why they were known for leaking at the seal. There is so much rebuilt wore out krap out there esp. ones that vibrate/groan shaking the wheel at specific turning of the wheel speeds.

Why are you replacing the PS pump? Did it run out of oil? Use "New" only. Otherwise hit a junkyard. Both are better than a failed than "patched" pump called reman/rebuilt etc. A patched rebuilt PS pump failure can dust the entire system and you re-replace everything. If the pump ran out of oil you are likely at the rebuild and replace everything due to metal dust.

Note we found that GM came out with a revised special synthetic fluid for our 2002 Yukon due to stiff steering as noted when we replaced the box and the shop used the wrong fluid. Took them twice to figure it out.

I agree to only use new for the PS pump. I never had trouble with the box but I went with the PSC pump and LML hydroboost at 350k on my 06 2500HD Dmax. Made the mistake of rebuilt pump instead of new after the 3rd one was junk like the other 2 I learned my lesson. I've always used the NAPA PS fluid.

pump I dont think ever ran out, just low. I had put fluid in it after it sat for a while. Fired up, drove across the yard, hit brakes, pump started to growl, I shut off and topped off. Fired up and quiet again. hot, low idle in a parking lot it will whine slightly, and steering is slightly sluggish. Im thinking hot fluid and the cooler might fix the issue.

I was curious about trying a new pump just to see if I can get a little more performance out of the system. People rave how great the GMT800 is for towing, especially the chassis and braking, with the 2 piston front calipers and rear disks, and honestly I feel like my GMT400 duallies stop just as good. So either people are lying or mine isnt behaving right.

Gear, steers fine and has just a tiny bit of play, just enough to feel, not see.

So

SEAL KIT, Pitman Shaft Seal
, SEAL KIT,STEERING GEAR PITMAN SHAFT(INCLUDES 23-26)

Should be what I need?

What is:
GM Part No.: 26000985
Boot,Steering Gear Pitman Shaft

• Part Description
    BOOT, Pitman Shaft Seal
I assume just a dust shield that goes on after the seal, before the pitman arm?

I just noticed some fluid on my driveway. Haven't dug into it yet. Either a hose or pump leak. Not really looking forward to this.

Just checked it out. It one of my transmission lines leaking at the crimp.
I've been out of the game a bit. Which are the best to replace with? Obvious the OEM lines will continue to do same thing.

Imo take the hose to a hydraulic shop and have them build a replacement out of better materials. This holds true for most any automotive hose. Automobiles always make lower cost hoses but hoses made for heavy equipment is built to last.

Kinda like the oil cooler hoses that are on 6.5 pickups- because hmmwv was made for battle, they used heavy equipment style hydraulic hose. They never fail. I know guys with over 300,000 miles on late 1980s era hmmwv with original hoses- no fail.

I've done that several times with other hoses I have. The hose is great, the ends rot out in a couple of years. Not really worth it to me.

Now I need to change the rest of the fluid. I know see that Allison Transynd is upgraded to TES 668. Last I knew it was TES 295 Fluid. Lol
I guess 668 is OK to use as it supercedes the 295 fluid.

SO... I noticed a leak from power steering pump. Seems like it is coming from top. Where shaft meets pump. I still have lots of fluid in pump.
WTF. It's one thing after another right now. 🤬
Steering has been fooked for years now. I'm thinking new pump. Any suggestions here? Any tips on removal/installation? Never done one before.

Back