• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Best friends 93 k3500 thorn

Quazisam

Reaction score
My best friends k3500 dump truck is 93 with 65k miles. Died on him batteries drained. Charge and cranks slow wont start.

Fully charge then load test the batteries while disconnected from each other and the truck.
Clean all connections while apart and charging. Inspect/ test battery cables.
once all known good, retry.

If still slow, suspect starter worn out. Remove and bench test. If bad, get a powermaster 9052 starter. Costs a little more than most other starters but outperforms every other starter available. I believe Quadstar Tuning sells them now.

If the starter is good, there is a few things to check like if a belt pulley, alternator, vacuum pump, etc is locked up.

dump trucks and similar often get modified compared to a regular pickup, so post multiple pics of engine bay, batteries, etc might be helpful.

Got it started.check charging system 13.4 turn headlights on 12.3. If anyone has any idea's on turbo iol leaks? It has large amount of blow-by. Is there some sort of crankcase ventilation other than vent to air intake.

The cdr is inline of that hose from valve cover to turbo. It can plug up. CLean it out with solvent or replace it if it’s plugged.
Imo best option is replace it with a catch can. Then you won’t urn any of the oil going through there and it cleans everything up nicely. Better than open to road venting.

That can actually be what many people think is the turbo leaking.
If the turbo is leaking oil, the gasket is simple except the mount bolts may be rusted. Whenever trying to fix leaks- look for where you think the leak is and write it down. Then clean the heck out of everything and watch for where the leaking really is- obviously where you thought is first place to look.

clean out the air intake pre and post turbo, and the turbo blades. Inspection of them again as the leaking starts might reveal the blow by is the culprit- where the catch can becomes the very best option. The provent 200 has been my favorite choice for a long time, especially if you get the stainless steel cleanable filter in it.

if the turbo is leaking oil out and you installed new drain seal and feed line isn’t leaking- rebuild or replacement might be only option. That is a prime time to get rid of the garbage gm turbo and put something appropriate on there. Better turbo means more power with less boost so easier on engine even though more power and also more mpg, at least when you keep your foot off the floorboard smashing the throttle.

Crawl under the front right side, look at the oil drain back tube and coupler hose from the turbo to the engine block, see if it is leaking bad.
Mine was. I installed the oil drainback tube kit from Quadstar Tuning.
Mighty nice improvement.

Back