• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Best fluid to use in getrag 5 speed

Thread starter #1
I just recently bought a reman 5-speed for my 1994 4x4 and I’m about to put it all in a couple days (new flywheel, rear main seal, new clutch system and etc) but anyway, the trans shop I got it from told me that Synchromesh was the best to put in it. Anyone know this to be true, or has anyone heard otherwise??

Attachments

I used nothing but Amsoil Severe Gear 75/90 or Maybe it was 75/110. I thought it was 90/120 but they have no such thing. Call Amsoil tech and ask what they recommend. You can also look it up on their website. 716 399 8324

I put 800,,000 miles on that transmission without touching it. I changed the fluid whenever it smelled or did not look good.

I only changed the clutch twice. Once I had a spring break and the 2nd time the throw out bearing went out. Both times I was able to drive it home

IO really liked that transmission. Much more so than the NV4500 I have now. It shifted like a dream. I could start it in first and then run through the rest of the gears. Which was pretty handy when I was a week away from home and the throwout bearing went out. It was also a lot easier install than the NV4500. Or maybe I was just a lot younger.