• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Benefits of Extreme Performance Sprayable Liquid Coating based Lubrication part 2

Twisted Steel Performance

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
Reaction score
Dow Integrated Solutions Trinidad

We coated a 64:1ratio gearbox for a mixing plant where the electric motor was constantly overheating and shutting down. They were getting about 20% run time out of a shift. It was determined that the gearbox was at fault and a rebuild with new gears necessary. The maintenance person had us coat the original gears unknown to his boss and re assembled the unit. The last report was that they were able to run the mixer for a 6 shift run with no signs of overheating of the motor. Each shift being 8 hours. To this day his boss thinks they got a great deal on a set of new gears.

Engine Armor Coatings, FL: Just wanted to update you on how well the dry film lubricant coating (DFL-1) is working for the Monster Trucks operated by Feld. Before we started coating the ring and pinion gears, the trucks were experiencing a gear failure/breakage just about every weekend of competition. With a fleet of over 20 trucks running almost every weekend at various venues this got quite expensive. Since we began coating the gear sets almost 4 years ago, the failure rate has dropped dramatically. I have been told by Feld that some trucks have now gone as long as 2 years without a differential gear failure. They also tell me that they no longer run any of the trucks without the coated gears. I think this speaks volumes for how well the coating works.

OK, let me tell you a little story on how effective ceramics and dry film lubricants are in the internal combustion engine. We do a complete thermal and dry film management program for a guy who builds demolition derby engines. They are typically small block Chevys. We have gotten excellent feedback from him on how well these engines perform and last with the coatings. Typically, when an engine, in this type of environment, looses a radiator, it only has about 5-10 minutes before it locks up. One of our coated engines lasted 31 minutes after loosing it's radiator and reached internal temps of around 450 degrees. How do I know it was at that temp? Well, babitted bearings melt at about 450 and metal starts to blue at 450. After this car won the event, it was brought into the pits and shut down. After the engine was off and there was no oil flowing to help cool the bearings, the heat from the camshaft actually started to melt the babitt out of the cam bearings which puddled down the oil galley to the main bearing, plugging it off. Keep in mind, the car still ran fine. The driver, not knowing his engine had any damage went on to race two other events with no signs of any internal engine damage. The engine was torn down to reveal what had taken place. The camshaft and crankshaft where blue but I didn't get any pictures of them, and they were polished and put back in the engine! Oh, the other two events he went to, won them both! Brian JCM Coatings, House Springs, MO

I have a story to add to that 2 Stroke story as well. I have a 1986 Quadracer 250, which I run at 32:1 mix, the motor was a disaster when I bought it, I went through two pistons in 2 days due to improper jetting and bad bearings and crank seals. I tore it down, replaced and checked everything, the motor is now reliable as any motor out there. My normal tear down and top-end change was about 6 months time (about 20 hours), if I went any further it would collapse the top ring landing and seize. The last time, whcih was about 2 years ago, I coated the cylinder with PKSX and the piston top with CBX and the skirts with DFL-1, it ran that way for 2 years straight, about 80 hours or more, and then it finally let loose. The problem???? The cast cylinder backing plate in the cylinder snapped off and got sucked up the transfer ports and beat the top of the piston smashing the top ring landing. I sent the cylinder out to get bored and a new piston, but I got back a HONED, not bored cylinder and the same size just new piston to put back in it. All clearances were perfect! The new piston and cylinder are getting the same treatment again. Mark PowderBarons, Middletown, DE

Flow Improvement for I/E ports

18 degree Aluminum Bow Tie heads

Intake Ports coated with TLHB/TLML Combinations

Exhaust Ports coated with TLHB

The ports were wet flowed to establish any improvement

IMPROVEMENT

Exhaust 15%

Intake 5%

Back