• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Banks Sidewinder Turbo Exhaust Manifold.

Ratkilr

Reaction score
Hello again. I have the opportunity to purchase a brand new Banks Turbo Manifold still in the box for my 86 CUCV 6.2 "I couldn't believe I found one!" The question I have is it worth getting or not? I still have the 24V system with dual batteries in the truck and do not intend to change it. If I have to modify something to make it fit then that is fine. I am transplanting the top end off of a 97 6.5 onto the 6.2 and was going to run a GM8 turbo on the stock exhaust manifold. But now I have read that the 24V battery has to be moved? If I purchased the Banks? Will everything clear?? And is the Banks manifold "Hands Down" that much better? And will the Banks manifold will fit the 6.5 head?? Once again I just want to do this right "One Time".

I do seem to recall that this was done on a CUCV, but at best it is a very fuzzy recollection.

Might want to check on Steel Soldiers for anybody with experience in adding the turbo. One thing to watch when posting over there is some in that community are purists, so just use patience and press for responses from anybody whom had done the mod.

Toward expectations of adding the turbo, it will provide more power and is known to improve fuel economy. Personally, I would not try to get much more power out of that motor as it was designed for N/A and throwing a lot of fuel at it will likely make it smoke.

For benefits of the Banks manifold versus OE, the OE turbo manifold has exhaust from the driver's side manifold colliding with the #6 and #8 exhaust ports. This makes a distinct sound when the 6.5 idles as the exhaust streams collide. The Banks manifold moves the point where the exhaust stream joins from the driver's side manifold so that it does not collide with any of the passenger side exhaust ports and goes directly to the turbo. Do not recall seeing any dyno reports of whether / how much the Banks 6.X manifold improves power, but at least on the theoretical side it is a better design.

Last edited:
My dad has a cucv m1008 one ton witha gm8 turbo. That truck is still 24V. Everything clears besides down pipe. Frame is to skinny to run a down pipe so he torched the lower inner fender well and stuck it out in the fender well. Has 4 inch lift with humvee tires. Has propane injection and he put a sm465 behind it and its the strongest 6.2/6.5 I've ever seen. My guess is it'll what a low end duramax could pull. Thats with the standard gm turbo. Truck is really stout

We are going to need a full write up with pics on that! Way cool!
Sorry on delay of gasket btw. Broke a bone in my foot. Heading to post office today to drop off.

Back