• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bad batch of the VOV, Varable Orface Tube out there

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score
Personally I love the VOV when it works. One of the best explanations for a VOV is a four part article including definitions here:

http://www.imcool.com/articles/aircondition/VOV1.htm

I really, really, really hate it when some F*kup doesn't do their job and drops quality control. Especially when it causes me to redo a difficult part of a job over. This is the second time this year I have had a defective completely blocked VOV out of the box. Low side drops even with a full charge and then doesn't come back up at all. I went to WAR on the last SOB as it was stuck pretty good. With a plain OT the 1992 works well, but, could be better when push comes to shove extreme heat. I have a 2002 Yukon dual air I am putting back together that has the same exact problem with a VOV.

1992 stock WAR photo on removal:

DSCN4206.JPG

Murray Climate Control box likely from same factory as everyone else. Murry lacks the instructions of: remove the stupid fing too fat O ring for a smaller diameter O ring off a GM orface tube. The older stuff I got without the relabel BS did have these instructions. May have made removal easier...

I will list a couple of others for reference having this issue:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...ixed-orifice-tube-in-AC-system-instead-of-VOV

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C2OB8I/?tag=jhdiesel-20

"After I installed this tube, my a/c refrigerant would not flow through it because it was blocked"

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You and your A/C.. You act like it's hot out there in the desert southwest or something..

But yeah some of these 'parts' as they call em is downright dismal and borderline life threatening.

Good info above to keep stored in the brain file.

You and your A/C.. You act like it's hot out there in the desert southwest or something..

But yeah some of these 'parts' as they call em is downright dismal and borderline life threatening.

Good info above to keep stored in the brain file.

The VOV came out easily and in one piece. I just dropped a regular OT in it for now. This was a complete system flush and rebuild as the compressor shredded and debris blocked the entire system. The hairball in the "old" condenser I replaced was impressive. I went as far as putting in an inline filter so I don't have to pull the rear TXV out again: That took two days alone.

It's actually cool and DRY today. The monsoon at 50% humidity and 106 was yuck.

coolanddry.jpg

Y'all are my heroes. I don't see how in the world y'all can live in that kind of heat all summer. It breaks 100* just very few times a year around here. I don't see how the air conditioners can keep the house below 90* or so during all that heat.

We save money in almost never heating the house for the winter, and spend it all in the summer by running the a/c on overdrive- haha. Most people kick on the a/c around mid March and shut it down mid October.

My power bill is lower in Boulder City because when the Hoover Dam (originally named Boulder Dam- politicians:rolleyes: ) was built they did a 100 year contract for power cost of local residents. 15 minute drive into the Vegas valley, and power bills are double- running a/c is over half of it always. Back in 2002, before I moved out of there, I was starting to build my own solar power setup. I was a 2 days away from ordering $9,800 worth of panels alone. I had already built the battery rack.

WarWagon gets a nice monthly bill from his power company, I am quite sure...

Back