• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Awesome Detroit

That would sound awesome coming from under the hood of one of our trucks or suburbans.

Darn, i can not open the web page.
Is anyone else having a problem with it ? or is it the web browser I`m using ?

It might be your browser. The link opened fine for me on my iPhone.

Oh my gosh! That soumded great over just my phone. I need a new cable from my tv to my surround sound that I have been putting off for 2 months. Buying it this weekend so I (and my neighbor)can hear this the way it should be :punch::singing:

Very nice, I had no problem opening it on my computer.
Oh yea the screaming Detroit. My uncle had a 1960's model Cracker Box GMC that had the 238 Detroit in it back then when he was trucking. They said he had it turned up for all it was worth and would make it scream for sure. He got caught coming off a hill one night at 110 MPH, I know that for a fact because I know the State Trooper that caught him. My uncle did some foolish things and always wanted to have the fasted cars and trucks. I guess he is lucky to be alive these days with all the stunts he pulled back in the day.

I wasn't aware you had that... My all time favorite is a Diamond T!

It's a '67. Kind of an ugly duckling. It's the last of the *T's* as I understand it. After that the White company which they were a part of, made them Diamond Reo. It has a lot if White/Autocar interchangeability.

Big R yep 238 is a 6-71N like mine. They like to crank it up! Best performance is obtained if you Drive it like you Stole it. :)

Was there such a thing as turning one up so much that the stacks was glowing orange on one or flames coming out maybe?

That Detroit engine stuff is greek to me I don't know much about the engine numbers.

Dad told me stories of trucks back in the day screaming down the road with the stack lit up and catching hay bales on fire on flatbeds. Heard from more than one source of guys pouring some 'additives' in the tank too. ;)

Dad told me stories of trucks back in the day screaming down the road with the stack lit up and catching hay bales on fire on flatbeds. Heard from more than one source of guys pouring some 'additives' in the tank too. ;)

I don't doubt it, back in the good ole days those truckers did all kinds of stunts and tricks. I am sure if there was anyway to get more power out of one they tried it. My Dad his brothers and their Dad drove trucks at sometime or another hauling coal, lime, sand and general freight. Two of them in separate trucks use to head out to California or Texas from the east coast and tried to see who got there first.

Ah the tales... I've heard my share and have plenty of pics to go with the memories... Dad was an OTR driver for 42 years. Taught me a thing or 3... I still have his last logbook and the last run he made in August'74. He died of a massive coronary the next day. 10 days shy of his 57th birthday. Mom didn't get a dime of his pension because He wasn't of retirement age...

Ah the tales... I've heard my share and have plenty of pics to go with the memories... Dad was an OTR driver for 42 years. Taught me a thing or 3... I still have his last logbook and the last run he made in August'74. He died of a massive coronary the next day. 10 days shy of his 57th birthday. Mom didn't get a dime of his pension because He wasn't of retirement age...

Mike, sorry about your Dad of course, that was the good ole days for sure. I always heard my Grandpa hauled bombs for the Military in World War II. Heck I guess it was true he had a few small unarmed bombs in his attic forever as souvenirs.

Like I said earlier my uncles (Dads Side Of Family) were big in trucking one had a trucking company at one time and the other one sold trucks. Also two uncles on my mothers side drove for ABF and Southeastern Motor Freight for many years, both of them were War Veterans of course.

I myself had a very close working relationship with the trucking industry for 28 years or so and I am real familiar with the trucking industry and rules. I can tell you that it aint like it use to be, the old timers that were very professional have retired or moved on. It is a different breed now, some cant even hardly speak English. Don't get me wrong there are still some good ones, good as gold out there and I respect them, I still have cousins driving and selling trucks.

Back