• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Awesome 6.5 Exhaust carnage pictures

BigBlueChevy

Compression Ignition Addict
Reaction score
:rof::rof::rof:

So, we had open shop in class today and I had brought the little GMC 6.5 in today for some maintenance. Oil change, lift pump, OPS, rotate and balance tires, and a power steering fluid flush. I go to pull it onto the 4 post lift in the shop and hear a clunk then a rattle noise. Not to mention the truck gets a little rumble too it:D I'll let the pics do the talking. I just ordered up an exhaust from Alligator Performance to get rid of the factory crap. I'll post up some pics into this thread when it gets here and I'll install it next week during another open shop day:D

The flange that mates the downpipe to the cat is going to need to be cut off. Cause there aren't even bolts left... or nuts. They are cone shaped. And forget the threads, they are gone. Its all one big rusted piece.

SANY0024.jpgSANY0023.jpgSANY0020.jpgSANY0022.jpgSANY0029.jpgSANY0021.jpgSANY0028.jpgSANY0027.jpgSANY0025.jpgSANY0026.jpg

I got my exhaust in last week from Alligator Performance. And Tuesday of this week, during open shop, I installed it onto the little green GMC. I had ordered there muffler-less kit as I had originally planned to0 run a straight pipe. But after some consideration, I decided to keep the noise down on this trucks(at least on the inside :D ) and install my 4" MBRP Stainless steel muffler that I had purchased some time back for Big Blue. It had been used on and off, but for the most part Big Blue sounds better with a straight pipe. That A-team turbo needs to be heard :D .

From the moment I opened the box I was very impressed with the Diamond Eye kit. Very clean, free of damage, generous and well swept bends, and best of all, Enough pipe to do a Crew Cab Long Bed Dually (without a muffler too!) During the install, I was pleased to find that the kit offered a great deal of flexibility. The placement of the pipe joints, and a ball and socket design after the down-pipe before going to the full 4" pipe made the install a breeze and allowed me to adjust the kit accordingly. Anybody who visits Walts site(SS Diesel supply) may or may not have noticed that in his exhaust kit he mentions that some manufacturers dont use real 4" tubing. Rest assured, this kit is most certainly 4" tubing and mated perfectly with my MBRP muffler. No adjustments or welding required.

Hardest part of the install? The downpipe. Getting the old one off took some time, and getting the new one bolted to the turbo with the oh-so-wonderful V-band clamp was a bear and a half. To all who plan on installing a new exhaust on there 6.5? Do yourself( and possibly your neighbors too) and just pull the fender-well. Its only about 10 bolts, will take about 20 minutes of your time, and you WILL save yourself a TON of aggravation.

SANY0036.jpg

SANY0037.jpg

SANY0038.jpg

SANY0039.jpg

SANY0041.jpg

SANY0042.jpg

SANY0043.jpg

SANY0044.jpg

My initial thoughts on the exhaust after leaving shop was that it was a little to loud. After driving around for a few days and fixing a vacuum line to my wastegate, I am EXTREMELY pleased with the exhaust :agreed: It sounds great, has virtually no noise in the cab and makes a very solid statement outside the cab. Rest assured, it lets people know its there. Power is defiantly up too by the seat of pants dyno. The truck pulls up these PA hills with much more authority than before, and it actually doesn't smoke as much under load. It leaves a healthy plume of black smoke when you romp on the go pedal, but otherwise overall the truck has majorly improved.

A friend of mine got to see the finished product today and he said its not the same truck anymore:hihi: . This guy has 2 12Valve cummins(one street and one pulling truck) and even he said he was very impressed with the trucks new-found power. He hasn't said anything about my 6.5's since :)

Them cummins guys always under estimate us lol. I proved a cummins buddy that my 6.5 could hang, raced a ECSB 99 cummins 2wd auto tranny edge chip, FASS, and straight pipe and smoked him only problem is thats when i blew my HG I think because it blew white smoke the next morning on start up.

Back