• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Auto Meter Gauges

DieselCash

Trust but, verify
Staff member
Reaction score
I ordered new gauges for my truck last month. One of them was on back order and they finally arrived today.

I ordered Auto Meter Phantom boost, fuel pressure, EGT, and a triple gauge pod.

I went with the Phantom series for the low price and all the options they have for that series. I like the white face, red dial and the black trim ring. It just makes it stand out real nice. When I can afford it I will change out the bulb for an LED one.

Some time in the future I would like to add a transmission and rear differential gauge. I plan on mounting them up on the overhead console. Need more funds for that.

I plan on doing a walk threw of the install with lots of pictures.

Here is pictures of what I purchased.

IMG_0517.jpg
IMG_0518.jpg

I have come to the conclusion that I am a horrible photographer. :agreed:

I will take more(very possible horrible pictures) :thumbsup:

Here are better pictures of the gauges,

IMG_0520.jpg
IMG_0521.jpg
IMG_0523.jpg

So far I am very pleased with the quality.

Time will tell! :thumbsup:

I need to find some paint for the pillar. :agreed:

Went and got some paint. Tried to find a body shop to paint it for me. Nobody wanted to do it so, I got this.
IMG_0526.jpg

I sprayed my first coat on the pod. It turned out OK.
IMG_0525.jpg

I drilled, tapped, and installed the EGT probe. I will get better pictures when the sun comes up.
IMG_0527.jpg
IMG_0528.jpg

I drilled a hole in the firewall on the passenger side for the EGT wires. I plan on running the ground wire and boost hose threw that hole also.
IMG_0531.jpg

Yes, I removed the inner fender. I have gotten to were I can get it out in about 10 minutes.

I got the passenger side fender installed. Got the wires ran across the truck under the dash and up to the pillar.
I also added/upgraded the ground for the a/c and heat fan motor. It helped out a little.
I started the install of the compass/ temperature mirror by getting the wires installed down to the bottom of the pillar.

IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

I got the hole on the drivers side drilled and the grommet installed. I had to remove the fender on that side to get the grommet in.

IMG_0536.jpg

Here is more pictures of how I installed the EGT probe.

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

It was too cold outside today to paint the pillar. The can says it has to be between 70 - 90 degrees F.
Hopefully tomorrow will be warm enough.

Did some more work on the truck on Monday.

For a long time I have been wanting to put a sure fire charger in my truck. Using old scrap metal and old nuts and bolts I finally installed one.

IMG_0541.jpg

My center console on my truck has been very rickety. I pulled it out to do other things and noticed all the rivets that hold it together are broke. I picked up some JB weld and fixed that. I also installed a relay and fused power supply for future 12V plugs. My truck only has one.

IMG_0549.jpg
IMG_0550.jpg

While The center console was out I cleaned the carpet under neath it and the passenger side front seat.

Lookin good so far! It must be a lot warmer there than it is here in KS. It was -5 with the windchill most of the day. Not good painting weather.

And sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is a sure fire charger? Don't believe I've heard of it before...

Lookin good so far! It must be a lot warmer there than it is here in KS. It was -5 with the windchill most of the day. Not good painting weather.

And sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is a sure fire charger? Don't believe I've heard of it before...

Sorry, I meant streamlight charger. I always get the two confused. It is a flashlight charger.

I bet if you look at the picture it will even say streamlight, I hate it when I get in a hurry.

Weather here has been great, I put the last couple of coats of paint on the pillar yesterday.

Got it all painted. Got the gauges in the pod and started on the wires.

IMG_0553.jpg
IMG_0554.jpg
IMG_0557.jpg

I am so ready to get these installed.

I still got a couple more things to purchase before I can get it done.

I'm curious about how your pod will set after you install it. My pod angles the face of the gauge too high. If they were angled down just a bit the gauges would be easier to read with just a quick glance.

Don

I'm curious about how your pod will set after you install it. My pod angles the face of the gauge too high. If they were angled down just a bit the gauges would be easier to read with just a quick glance.

Don

Good question Don, I will take pictures and post it up on here when I finally get to that step.

That turned out nice. I've often wondered how good of a job that Dupli-color vinyl and fabric paint would do. Might have to get some and try it myself.

That turned out nice. I've often wondered how good of a job that Dupli-color vinyl and fabric paint would do. Might have to get some and try it myself.

It turned out nice, time will tell how well it will last.

It does not match perfectly but got it as close as I could.

I got it all installed and wired up, just need to take more pictures and finish the write up.

Got everything done over 2 weeks ago. Life has been hectic to say the least.

I enjoy the gauges, it is nice being able to see what everything is doing. So far I am very pleased with the fit and finish, just wish the color was a little closer.

Here is what it looks like all installed.

IMG_0562.jpg
IMG_0565.jpg
IMG_0566.jpg

I ran a ground wire, constant 12+V, ignition on 12+V, and interior light wire to the top for the other gauges I want to install.

I hooked the ground to the frame on the passenger side and ran it in with the EGT wires.

I hooked the constant 12+V wire to a resettable fuse under the hood.

I hooked the ignition on 12+V wire to the fuse box I installed inside the center console.

I hooked the interior light wire to the green wire from the control plug.

PMDCable.com

Without PMDCable's help I would probably still be fighting to get these gauges installed.

I used his fuel pressure tap for the fuel pressure gauge and boost bolt for the boost gauge.

To say the least these two items simplified the install and where worth every penny spent.

Here is what they look like installed.

IMG_0567.jpg
IMG_0568.jpg

I think I might have enough room to still put my cover back on top of my engine.

Thanks Leroy! :thumbsup:

I also got the rear view mirror installed with the compass and outside temperature both working properly.

This is how I wired it up.

Black wire I connected to ground.

Pink wire I connected to ignition wire.

Brown and green/black connected to temp probe.

Green will go to reverse light, I have not connected yet.

The other pink/orange wire that was or is suppose to go to constant power did not work. The wire instantly got hot. So I did not use it.

I did not use the grey wire, it is for auto dimming side mirrors. I do not have that option on my mirrors.

The auto dimmer seems to work.

Here is what it looks like.

IMG_0563.jpg
IMG_0564.jpg

Yes, 81F is today's temp.

Back