• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Anyone try to burn this prom chip before?

Quadstar Tuning LLC

Quadstar Tuning LLC
Reaction score
I have a couple of these <unnamed> 6.5 prom chips sitting here. Have any of the gurus tried to write tunes to these or is the binary addressing changed that it wouldn't work? I was figuring they just made them this way to use a cheaper setup for mass production but am not sure. The removable chip is the same as most PC motherboards.

It looks like a fancy plcc32 to DIP 28 converter so I figured i'd ask before I order adapters for my chip reader/writer.

IMAG1073_zpsndhopfdi.jpg

IMAG1069_zpsobefvvpb.jpg

Curious as to what year these are out of? This looks more expensive than the single PROM chip used in 1995 and older stuff.

It's aftermarket for a 94 and 95. Guess you could use it in a 93 to only write the trans calibration to also.

The manufacturer is hyper****

Yes, the 1993 trans calibration chips are changeable as I have a 6 tune selectable chip and am waiting on a new calibration to use a high stall converter now. Something about engine RPM and input shaft RPM is confusing the ECM as to what gear it should be in and rapid gear changes result like several per second. Work in progress.

Those chips weren't all that great. With the common single chip and multitune boards now available I honestly wouldn't bother. It's would be fun to play with them, but, rare and cheaper standard chips out there.

Even the gas engine 1993 chip I had from them didn't look like this. Neither did the Banks chip for the 1995. So thanks for sharing the rare gem of a chip design.

The interchangeable part of the chip is free (it's on every CPU motherboard I have laying around) and these units plentiful since their base tune wasn't that great and most people swap them out.

Thus my desire to flash it. I figured i'm going in solo but wanted to fish and see what I get :cool:

I ordered a PLCC32 to DIP28 adapter for my chip burner so I can see what I get. I'm just hoping the chips they stacked aren't to "swap" addresses which would render a stock or modified bin useless on the PLCC32 chip since information would be at the wrong locations.

Good thing I didn't give up easily

Its just a plcc32 to 28 pin stacked adapter. Same concept as current aftermarket chips and actually way ahead of its time for being produced in 94.

Attachments

• IMAG1154.jpg
    IMAG1154.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 9
Back