• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Anyone know if the following steering box will fit the GMT400?

To answer your question, no, a gmt-800 box will not work. Different model box, and when I set them side by side, it looked like a different mounting pattern, and I know the putman arm is completely different. So unless you're up to fabbing up new mounts, it's not a bolt in swap.

What I do know is the 94-02 dodge's used the same model box as ours, but with a slower ratio(ours is 15:1 and theres is 18:1). What I have read is it is possible to swap in the box from a 4th gen 03-07 style Dodge into a 94-02 model, so that may be an avenue for a heavier duty steering box. Otherwise sendyour box to blue top to haveyours rebuilt. I will not reccomend redhead anymore after seeing how quickly mine got loose.

To answer your question, no, a gmt-800 box will not work. Different model box, and when I set them side by side, it looked like a different mounting pattern, and I know the putman arm is completely different. So unless you're up to fabbing up new mounts, it's not a bolt in swap.

What I do know is the 94-02 dodge's used the same model box as ours, but with a slower ratio(ours is 15:1 and theres is 18:1). What I have read is it is possible to swap in the box from a 4th gen 03-07 style Dodge into a 94-02 model, so that may be an avenue for a heavier duty steering box. Otherwise sendyour box to blue top to haveyours rebuilt. I will not reccomend redhead anymore after seeing how quickly mine got loose.
I did see a newer Dodge box w/6 bolt cover that had a column adapter to fit the 94/02 however; it seemed to be back ordered like forever now...I'll check out blue top....I'm getting tired of changing out rebuilt boxes from NAPA etc...as always FERM your the man that knows thanks.

Back