• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Anyone Having/Had Speedometer Issues?

ChewyChopChop

Reaction score
I've been driving my 1994 Chevy C1500 W/T now since early 2012. I just rolled 417000 miles with the original 4.3L V-6. I'm on my 3rd Getrag NV3500 5-speed transmission, the one it came with, the used one I put in it, and finally, the rebuilt that's still going strong. I've put a set of Good Years about 40000 miles ago, P235 75 R15. Since day one, the speedometer has been off. At slower speeds, it's pretty close but the faster I go, the farther off it reads. As an example, speedo reads 40 mph, I'm going 35 mph. When speedo reads 75 mph, I'm going 55 mph. Once the speedo is buried, I'm just keeping up. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Sorry, I can’t help you out on the speedometer issue, but I will say this. Welcome to the forum.

Did the trans rebuild bring on the problem? Like too many teeth on the pickup wheel. Different wheels and tires than stock? Bad Grounds are famous for issues.

Problem was there before trans rebuild. Tag inside door calls for P225 75 R15 where I have P235 75 R15. I never thought about a grounding issue. Now that you mention grounding, I think of the other speedo issue. Cruising down the freeway, I hit the turn signal & the speedo slams over to 0 for a second & back again. It's been doing this so long that I just ignored it. Definitely something to look in to.

Yes we have a ‘94 K2500 Suburban 6.5 diesel and the Speedo has been a POS. We finally took it to a Speedo shop and it mostly got fixed. I say mostly because it goes wonky above 75 mph.

I do not remember where, but, I have read about installing dip switches on the back side of the speedo that would change adjust the speedos output.
You might try doing a search for it.
Welcome to the truck stop chop-chop.

Back