• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Anyone have the specs on the GM turbo's? Looking at Holsets.

turbovanman

I has boost, :O)
Reaction score
I am looking at a Holset for a replacement for the 6.5's and putting one on my 6.2 project.

I have this info for the Holsets but can't find anything for the BW GM turbo's, :(

I think the 12cm housing might be too big but the 9cm could be too small also.

From my turbo-mopar.com forum-

Holset_Construction.gif

I have this info too-

Garrett_vs_Holset_Compressor_Wheels.gif

Garrett_vs_Holset_Turbine_Wheels.gif

6cm2 = 0.41 A/R
7cm2 = 0.49 A/R
8cm2 = 0.57 A/R
9cm2 = 0.65 A/R
10cm2 = 0.73 A/R
11cm2 = 0.81 A/R
12cm2 = 0.89 A/R
14cm2 = 0.97 A R
15cm2 = 1.05 A/R
16cm2 = 1.13 A/R
17cm2 = 1.29 A/R
19cm2 = 1.37 A/R

And the HX35 is a divided scroll turbo.

I know you asked for GM specs but...

Theres a few guys here running holsets. Im sure they will chime in shortly with info on there experiences with them. That should help you select one that will work mucho bueno :D

I believe member "Goldsburg" has some Holset knowledge....I may be wrong.

What's wrong with the A Team Turbo, it's a proven, well documented, no complaint, 6.5TD turbo mod/upgrade..........Nothing but praise from all who are running them, thanks to members "Slim Shady" and "Turbine Doc."

All questions and info are available in the thread "Replacment Turbo."

I have the WH1C on my 93. Pics over at the place in my garage. I have a few tips if you go that route, pretty easy swap, hardest part was the air cleaner for me.

As for compressor maps and such on the GM turbo's, sorry no help. I've seen like two maps of the GM-X turbos on the whole net and I happened upon them by chance, wasn't looking for them then, lol, I saved them but that computer died on me. If anyone would know it would be the guys over at turbomustangs.com .

Their widespread use on the Cummins for many years has shown them to be very durable. Nice, widely available, low cost, wastegated, T3 turbine flanged turbo.

Compressor maps look to be a very good fit for a healthy 6.5. In my application, it should operate nicely inside it's 70% efficiency island at 20 psi boost (2.4 pressure ratio). The HX-35 compressor map 70% line at 20 psi is a bit over 55 lbs/min which should be plenty for my setup.

20 psi is to much boost for a 6.5 TD.

A 6.5 with a stock CR i'd say yes. i believe it was Chicago TDP that was running 24-26 psi w/ a custom 18:1 setup and a holset turbo(can't remember which one yet HX-35 comes to mind). I can't remember now but it was on DP.

A 6.5 with a stock CR i'd say yes. i believe it was Chicago TDP that was running 24-26 psi w/ a custom 18:1 setup and a holset turbo(can't remember which one yet HX-35 comes to mind). I can't remember now.

If you prep the motor for that kind of boost, yes.

But for a stock motor, no.

I have no problems with holset turbos on a 6.5TD. I just hate seeing someone break one of these motors. They can start to get expensive when rebuild time comes around.

I would not put that type of boost to a motor I have not done a complete inspection on.

Last edited:
Hence the 18:1 in my signature.

I want a turbo with a bit looser turbine section than the GM-X series, with a compressor section that's efficient in the lbs/min flowrates I want to run. And also retain the responsiveness of a wastegated turbo - because my truck does tow occasionally; but practically speaking, loaded heavy is a small % of the time.

The map shows a good fit for this application. I've spoken with a number of people running the most common 12cm2 turbine section HX-35W and they're quite happy. Also gotten feedback from those running the smaller, single throat HY - 9cm2 turbine housing as well as tried the 14cm2 housing.

Not knocking other turbo options as it's almost certain there are multiple combinations that can work well. The GM-X series turbos weren't designed to provide the mass airflows a healthy, performance 6.5 needs at higher rpms. Plenty of room for improvement here.

Also, the OEM vac/solenoid boost control system & programming on these GM trucks is a poor example of how well electronic boost referenced, boost control can work. Electronic boost control can work very well & provide a bit lower rpm boost threshold/response advantage. It is also certainly more complex than turbine drive pressure springloaded boost control that is proven to work well, be long-term reliable, & very simple to make/sell, & have happy customers.

I believe member "Goldsburg" has some Holset knowledge....I may be wrong.

What's wrong with the A Team Turbo, it's a proven, well documented, no complaint, 6.5TD turbo mod/upgrade..........Nothing but praise from all who are running them, thanks to members "Slim Shady" and "Turbine Doc."

All questions and info are available in the thread "Replacment Turbo."

I am cheap, well not so much cheap but thrifty is a better word. I can get cheap Holsets so I'd rather go that route. I have nothing against the ATT setup and its a wicked deal for 95% of the DIY'ers but I like to go against the mill, hence my 12 sec Caravan, :thumbsup: I have my own shop so fabbing stuff up is not an issue. Take for example, I am putting a GT35R on my Caravan over the next 2 weeks and have to fab up an external wastegate, :D

I have the WH1C on my 93. Pics over at the place in my garage. I have a few tips if you go that route, pretty easy swap, hardest part was the air cleaner for me.

As for compressor maps and such on the GM turbo's, sorry no help. I've seen like two maps of the GM-X turbos on the whole net and I happened upon them by chance, wasn't looking for them then, lol, I saved them but that computer died on me. If anyone would know it would be the guys over at turbomustangs.com .

How do you like it? How is the spool?

Their widespread use on the Cummins for many years has shown them to be very durable. Nice, widely available, low cost, wastegated, T3 turbine flanged turbo.

Compressor maps look to be a very good fit for a healthy 6.5. In my application, it should operate nicely inside it's 70% efficiency island at 20 psi boost (2.4 pressure ratio). The HX-35 compressor map 70% line at 20 psi is a bit over 55 lbs/min which should be plenty for my setup.

Exactly, are you running one or planning on running one, if so, which one?

After speaking with a number of folks running the HX-35W w/ 12cm2 turbine section, it's what I will try first.

I've got a bit over 3k miles on my fresh 18:1 build. I'm collecting the components I'll need to fab things up how I want. The T3 flange mounts neatly/directly. Oil feed & drain are also pretty straightforward.

Still debating on using the Holset's internal wastegate, or fabbing up an external 'gate that still dumps back into the downpipe (because open wastegate dumps sound very crude to me). The way the internal 'gates reintroduce the exhaust to the stream at a 90 degree angle causes some turbulence which probably results in some restriction at higher flowrates.

Have to set down & look at the turbine housing, truck, & if/how an external gate could fit & reintroduce the bypass exhaust at a nice, smooth merge angle.

ronniejoe, over at the Diesel Page, has created the Power Flow turbo. That is a modified HX-40... It's considerably more expensive than the ATT, but if you want the best you may want to look at his turbo.

As far as I know, he doesn't participate on this board, so I won't provide a link in my post. You can PM me, though, if you're curious.

Yep. RJ's offering is designed to provide all the mass airflow a very healthy 6.5 can use - up past 3000 rpm, and at higher altitudes. More compressor capacity to compensate for lower air density.

RJ's was a strong performer in the Page's hill climb, pull offs.

I am looking at a Holset for a replacement for the 6.5's and putting one on my 6.2 project.

I have this info for the Holsets but can't find anything for the BW GM turbo's, :(

You find the info on the GM-X turbo let us know, must be the holy grail of info many have asked and in multiple forums I've yet to see it published anywhere. Might have something to do with the joint venture nature of Borg Warner selling out to IHI and maybe we need to be looking for a IHI spec since they built the turbo for/with BW

You find the info on the GM-X turbo let us know, must be the holy grail of info many have asked and in multiple forums I've yet to see it published anywhere. Might have something to do with the joint venture nature of Borg Warner selling out to IHI and maybe we need to be looking for a IHI spec since they built the turbo for/with BW

I will, :thumbsup:

I believe the Borg Warner - IHI RHC6 = the GM-X series. I've got a copy of a compressor map but it's rather ancient looking & in metric units.

My understanding is that the IHI RHE 61 is IHI's current offering that's the same frame size, comp housing, & same size wheel (major & minor diameters). I'm told the RHE wheel designs are a generation or 2 more modern.

Here's a link to IHI Turbo America's website with maps.

http://www.ihi-turbo.com/turbo_RHE-RHF.htm

I believe RJ's site also shows a GM-4 map for comparison to his offering. Regardless of which one you look at, they pretty much confirm that the GM-X's fall short of the mass airflows we'd like for a healthy 6.5

Back