• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Another PMD saga

guybb3

Reaction score
I went on a trip to Newfoundland Canada 1 week ago (2400 miles round trip) and the truck ran great until we crossed the border, 300 miles from home. We had just fueled up and when I started the truck, it fired and then died immediately. The SES light came on and I got Real nervous. Well, it fired again after about 5 seconds of cranking and the engine light stayed on. It ran normally with no problems but I didn't shut it off until we got home to Mass.. When I dropped my stepdad off and tried to restart the truck, it took about 10 seconds and definitely went into limp mode. I could only go 35 mph the rest of the way home. Over the next few days the truck would run great in the morning but if you let it heat soak it would be a bear to start and the SES light would come back on ( codes p0251 and p0370). I had a new Dipaco PMD that I got on Ebay for $168 only a week before we left. After using the search button for an hour, I decided to remote the new one now. I have a nice heat sink behind the bumper with a #9 that I had to go get from a Stanadyne dealer because I forgot to get a new one from the Dipaco PMD guy. I also removed the optical sensor filter harness (which I didn't think my year truck had)!! I heat soaked the truck today twice and it's running great! BTW GM, thanks for leaving me a whole 1/4 inch of slack so I could lengthen my harness. I would have bought an extension but I have a long tow coming up in two days and couldn't wait. I also ran a 30% WVO mixture for the trip.

Nice, guybb! Glad you had the spare, and that you knew enough to fix things yourself. Imagine how much it would've cost at the GM dealer!

I may have spoken too JiFaire. It did it to me again after idling for a while when giving someone a jump and then letting it sit for about a 1/2 hour. It coded and went into limp mode. I went home and let it sit an hour and it runs great but the SES will probably stay on for one or 2 more starts. BTW it's 94 during the day here right now. Another point, after idling and doing the jump my remote FSD was pretty warm but after driving down the road it's barely above ambient. Any ideas?

Update time. I haven't coded or limped since my last post and I towed our pontoon boat (as big as an aircraft carrier and just as aerodynamic) to Maine and back. It was hotter than hell on the way home and I haven't had any problems at all (except the truck was geting a little warm). Bad tank of fuel??? I'm still going to take Jifaire's advice and do the grounds.

Back