• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

All on headlights for 01 and 02

Sparky8370

Do chickens have large talons
Reaction score
This is just for making the all 4 lights come on with high beam. On the 01 and 02 the headlights use a positive common.

Materials you'll need:
2-3' of 14awg wire
heat shrink tubing
solder
red crimp on ring terminal

Step one: Remove this bracket in the corner. It has (4) 13mm bolts holding it in.
vbpgimage.php

Step two: Remove the cover for the fuse block. There are two clips sticking out down where I'm pointing in the next pic. You just pull the plastic out over them.
vbpgimage.php

Step three: Disconnect the clips for the fuse block so it can be flipped up. There's one on the fender side and two on the engine side.
vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

Step four:Flip the block up so you can see the back side. Be careful not to short any of the wires.
vbpgimage.php

Step five: Find the two yellow wires in this area, the green part in my pics. Turn on the head lights on low beam. Check them for ground with a meter or test light. Now put them on high beam and check again. There should only be ground on them when the headlights are on low beam. If you don't have ground on low and no ground on high then you don't have the right ones. In this pic you can see the extra wire I added. It's the black one I'm holding back with my finger.
vbpgimage.php

Step six: After you've verified that you have the right wires, disconnect the batteries. Now remove that screw in the middle of the green block that holds it in. You will see some blue clips in the side of this block. They lock the wires in, you will have to remove these clips. Now use an awl to release that terminal from the block. I don't remember if the lock is in the top or bottom of the block. Pretty sure it's in the top. I don't have pics of this step. I just went out there and took this apart to take pics for you guys but I didn't want to tear it apart too much.

Step seven: Use a razor knife and strip off 1/4 to 1/2 of insulation right below the terminal you just removed. Strip off an equal amount off the end of the piece of 14 gauge wire. Solder it to these wires. Now slide a piece of heat shrink down over the terminal. Use the size that just fits over the terminal. Obviously slide it past the terminal so it's only covering the wires and shrink it.

Step seven: Reverse the previous steps and re-install everything. Route the wire you installed out from under the block where the the big wiring harness enters it by the battery before putting the cover on.

Step eight: Run the wire over the the battery junction on the engine block. Crimp the red ring terminal on the end of the wire and remove the 10mm bolt that holds the battery junction to the block and install your wire with that bolt.
vbpgimage.php

Now reconnect the batteries and enjoy some brighter high beams!

Back