• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

All-Hi Mod

Will

Boobies make me happy
Reaction score
For those of you interested in setting your truck up so both the fog and low beams will stay on when your hi beams are on, this is how to do that

This takes all of about 5 min to do and is a cheap mod as well. All you need is a set of diodes that you can get from your local Radio Shack. The part number that I used was 1N4004. I have read that 4001,4002,4003 and 4004 will all work. These diodes come in a 2 pack and cost $.97.

You will do this mod under the hood at the fuse block on the drivers side of the truck. Make sure that the truck is off before reaching in there. You shouldn't need to unhook the batteries or anything like that.

On the bottom of the relays is the numbers for the different pins. You will be using the 85 pin for these mods. Also, on the bottom of the lid of the fuse block is a diagram showing the numbers of the pins along with which relay goes where. The 3 relays that are used are in the lower left hand corner of the fuse block

Hi-lows on at the same time.
You will need to connect the 85 pin of the low beams relay to the 85 pin on the hi beams relay. Make sure that the "bottle cap" is going towards the hi beam relay. You can either wrap the wire around the metal pin or slide it into the hole that the pin goes into. Either will work.

Hi-fog on at the same time.
For some reason GM decided that when your high beams are on, your fog lights don't need to be. Well I like my fog lights on adding more light. With the hi beams on adding alot of light, then the fog lights on adding more light can't be a bad thing right?

To do this you will need to connect the 85 pin of the fog lights to the 85 pin of the hi beams. Make sure that the "bottle cap" is going towards the hi beam relay. Again you can either wrap the wire around the pin or push it into the hole that the pin goes into. If you are doing the lows plus the fogs it can be a little tight on the 85 pin of the hi beam pin. For this I wrapped one diode around the pin and the other got pushed into the hole with the pin. You will still have control of your fog lights on low by switch but by doing this the fog lights will always be on with hi beams.

The pic shows how I have it wired. Sorry for the poor picture but hopefully the labels will help better explain things.
vbpgimage.php

This picture shows what the package looks like. It is the package on the left hand side.
vbpgimage.php

I did this to my truck. The only difference is on mine is that I put a diode from my fogs to low so my fogs come on everytime my headlights come on. It should of been factory like that..

Now I have to have the highs on with all the lights..:)

Will this overheat the fuse block?

Tony

No. I've had this done for nearly 6 months now and it's fine. Replaced my halogens with HIR's and replaced the fogs with Silverstars. It's like daylight in front of my truck with the all lights on mod! Gotta love it!

All-on

I just did the mod, except I ran everything off of the 85 pin of the low beams. That way the fog lights are on with the high beams and the low beams. Very easy to do.

I just did the mod, except I ran everything off of the 85 pin of the low beams. That way the fog lights are on with the high beams and the low beams. Very easy to do.

Ain't it cool? Man, mine are bright! You should try the HIR's and some Silverstar's in the fogs... :cool:

This is something I'm definitely going to do! I don't know what GM was thinking either when it comes to fog lights going off when hi-beams are switched on.
What gauge wire did you guys use? 14ga? or the diodes have enough wire to stretch between?

IIRC, I used 16 gauge wire. The diodes are definitely long enough. BTW, you'll want to tie the fogs in too - you'll never believe how bright it is with all three on at the same time. :cool:

Back