• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Advice on NV4500 shifter stub removal?

Hink

Overkill Is Underrated
Reaction score
So, I've put this question out there on a couple other threads but I figured I'd put it in it's own in hopes it would get more attention.
Trying to remove the shifter stub, I know there is a simple push and turn mechanic here but nothing is happening when I do that. I can push down and spin the collar that is around the stub round and round but it doesn't disengage anything. I can't see or feel anything to do to get it to work for me.
Does anyone have details as to what I'm looking to do here
It's the only thing holding me back from getting on the road right now!

Thanks!

As far as I knw, the stub doesn't come out of the base on the new venture trans. All of them I have worked on didn't come apart except at a pressed together rubber boot about 3-4 inches above the trans.

Thanks for the reply Ferm... But two things; first, it would be physically impossible to remove the transmission without removing the stub.
WP_20160115_23_26_49_Pro.jpg

Second, the transmission came without a stub installed so it must be removed some how.
WP_20160115_23_26_21_Pro.jpg

Also, there have been several general explanations from others that it is the "push down and turn counter clock-wise" action, but it's just not working for me so far.

I also have a request for information in to Midwest Transmissions. So if I get one, I will report the answer here for everyone if we don't get it answered ourselves!

the ones with the one piece cover with the non-removeable stub assembly (the 4 bolt setup, 1994+) require a guy to push down and rotate the inner "collar"

There is a round dust shield that is below the upper slotted cover, you need to be pushing down and rotating the uppermost piece. IIRC counter clockwise.

EDIT: I was typing while you were posting. :)

I see you definitely have the early style.

If you can visualize it, it is sort of a domed "cup" and it has slots cut in it, similar to a simple tail light bulb socket. Essentially you drop it over the pegs to engage the slots, push down, and rotate. It has a notch at the end of the slot that is quite fun to get past.

I had my old man helping with the project, so one person was able to push down with 2 screwdrivers, and the other was able to use one or two more screwdrivers to engage the center square hole and rotate it.

Last edited:
Heres a pic I found of the stub, and the locking collar to show you what you're dealing with.

4500shifterearly2_zps0ca0b26d.jpg

Excellent! Thanks guys, that's what I needed. I think I'll be able to get in the shop today and give that a try. I'll keep you posted....

OK, I got my question answered (thanks everybody!) and made a video for my upcoming web site to help the next feller figure it out...

BTW, I went in and did something on the video that I should have done from the beginning...
I added some thanks to the fellers who chimed in to help out.

Back