• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A Poor College Student's Daily Project Update

Reaction score
So, I figured I'd just create a thread for updates on my build so that I'm not running around making a bunch of different ones.

Update #1: Fuel/oil leak have gotten fixed. The cause for the fuel leak was the injector return line not being fully tightened down at the FFM. The oil leak was that one of the bolts on the oil drain line was tightened down only about halfway. After tightening everything up, I'm no longer seeing any leaks.

Update #2: Put a turbo master on the HX35 this past weekend. Currently running 8-12psi with spikes and boost creep up to 14psi. Going to turn it up a little so that I can be running 12-15 psi, as the EGTs were skyrocketing (1100*+) when I tried to get above 80 on the highway.

In other news: Will hopefully be doing WMI install, high idle switch, and fuel pump relay with Hugh in about a week or so, so be on the lookout for that. I'll post an update sometime this weekend about turning up the boost

A few things:

1. Turned the boost up on Friday night to around 15psi, and the truck moves wonderfully. EGTs are still alittle on the high end, but that's just how the holset runs.

2. Time for some bad news. I think it might be time for a rebuild. I'm hearing a nice, pants-filling rattle that's new. It's kind of metallic, has the speed of about double the RPMs, and kinda sounds like it's coming from the drivers side, but I'm not too sure. Going to be going over it tonight/this afternoon. Any ideas on what this could be would be appreciated

Conclusion: after getting into the truck a little bit, we discovered that I had an injector line guide that wasn't given a happy home, so it's not bolted down, and the noise is gone. This further proves that I'm a moron, and that my truck will give me shit for it :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

If you want to "worry" about something worry about ECT. ECT will kill your engine dead - been there got the t-shirt.

You have a aftermarket better than GM turbo so EGT will tell you when your turbine wheel melts down and as far as I can tell that past the point most EGT gauges peg out. (Perhaps the restrictive GM turbo was part of the EGT worry, but I ran 1350 EGT all the time before swapping the GM3 out.)

EGT may be "low" because the timing is too far advanced. Or it could be high because the timing is retarded. It could also wander high due to a plugged air filter.

I am not happy unless my truck will pass 1100 EGT and that's on a .29 plunger 6.2 pump. Low EGT means my fuel filter has plugged. I have sustained 1550 EGT while towing with uncoated 6.2 pistons. The ECT was in control and the only harm done was blackening the turbo blanket.

So with the 6.x engine I re-suggest the EGT engine meltdown at a specific number myth is BUSTED!!!

If you want to "worry" about something worry about ECT. ECT will kill your engine dead - been there got the t-shirt.

You have a aftermarket better than GM turbo so EGT will tell you when your turbine wheel melts down and as far as I can tell that past the point most EGT gauges peg out. (Perhaps the restrictive GM turbo was part of the EGT worry, but I ran 1350 EGT all the time before swapping the GM3 out.)

EGT may be "low" because the timing is too far advanced. Or it could be high because the timing is retarded. It could also wander high due to a plugged air filter.

I am not happy unless my truck will pass 1100 EGT and that's on a .29 plunger 6.2 pump. Low EGT means my fuel filter has plugged. I have sustained 1550 EGT while towing with uncoated 6.2 pistons. The ECT was in control and the only harm done was blackening the turbo blanket.

So with the 6.x engine I re-suggest the EGT engine meltdown at a specific number myth is BUSTED!!!

Okay, thanks for the input! I have noticed that under a WOT run, the ECT will run up to about 205/210, but then backs down relatively quickly after backing off. EGTs will easily hit around 1000*, and I got it to 1200 the other night when I was running low boost (8-12psi)

May I suggest you seal the gaps between the radiator and support. I've done it and the cooling system works much better.

Around town generally gaps don't cause issues however start doing mods the load on the cooling system increases and air will choose the path of least resistance at speed meaning going around the rad core as opposed to through it. The top of the radiator shroud has a big gap too seal it all and you should see cooling gains at speed.

The high EGT's are under high boost like 18PSI with the ATT or 24 PSI with an HX40II. Also max on the GM3 of 14 PSI. Attempting as smoke free as possible as lots of smoke with high EGT is bad IMO.

The cooling system(s) is a single t-stat, HO water pump, KD low temp fan clutch, and 9 blade steel or Duramax fan. Clean cooling stack including the mat behind the oil cooler removed.

What would a bad vac pump sound like? I'm hearing a clunking coming from that part of my motor, and I'm not too sure what it is. Oil level is fine, flexplate looks fine from what I can see, and I'm still leaking oil, but it looks like it's still coming from the turbo oil drain line, which I'll be throwing a new gasket on next weekend as I didn't have time to get to it today

Here's a throwback... Hughey's homemade turbomaster v1.0
You can hear a rattling type noise in the first 30 secs of the video (once I shut up lol) which is the vacuum pump

Has anyone replaced the oil drain line with the stainless braided hose that you can get for the HE351 turbos? My friend suggested that I try that since replacing the gasket did nothing to fix my leak

Also looks like I leaked something real bad when I got back. There's a huge spot of something beneath the truck, and I don't think it's all snow melt. I'm going to investigate, but if it's something fairly serious, I'm going to seriously consider lighting this pile of scrap on fire. It just won't seem to stay fixed no matter what I do *end rant

New update

Oil leak: FINALLY FIXED!!!! New hose, gasket, an ungodly amount of RTV, and some help from my dad finally have the thing locked down. Might look into a braided line kit for when I go to put a wicked wheel on the holset.

Also, my custom HX35 tune from @quadstar87 came in and is in the truck. Initially had issues getting above 12psi, but after turning up tm a little bit, I'm hitting 18-20 with no issue. It's a very clean running tune for the most part, and has great acceleration in the top end. Still working on seeing if we get a little more out of it in the low end. I plan on doing a fuel pump relay to key on power and a wmi kit soon, so I'll have those results within the next couple of weeks as long as things keep going my way

I'm interested in the tune you got. What do you have it set up for?

I also have an HX35, but so far no money for a tune. When I do have the money ( have to get medical bills paid off first) I want to be able to go ASAP on a tune. My plans for my pickup are to use it as a tow vehicle for the 24' travel trailer, so it won't see any real heavy towing. Currently I have started driving it as my DD again since diesel fuel has come down in price so much.

Don

I'm interested in the tune you got. What do you have it set up for?
Don

My tune is setup for max performance. It's the hottest he could come up with that's safe for a daily.

Also an update on that, we figured out why the truck is really anemic in the low end; he had tune setup for a 2 bar MAP sensor, but I run a 3, so I have an updated eprom coming my way.

Back