• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

98 K2500 ECSB 7.4L 5-SPEED

smokymtn65

Reaction score
Well I drug home a project.. non running, supposedly 1100 mile on rebuild. Comp Cam XR-270HR-13 bent push rod, broken guide plate on # 8,

Truck is dirty, but rust free and interior should clean nicely. 109k on the clock. Will put up some pics when I get a chance. If anyone has or knows of a 0411 PCM let me know.

They were laying on the rad support when I drug it home, as soon as i get under the hood and spend a little time I want to see how it lines up. I had a theory, that possibly he tried to use original guide plates first and drive them in.. if there were running it would have had much longer wear marks from the lift.. He game me a new set of Comp cam push rods in the box.

First problem i found is wrong guide plates used. These are for 7/16 studs. Heads are 3/8 20210303_172849.jpg

You may be on something there. I don't understand the deep gouge in the one spot though, should have long scrape. 20210303_183723.jpg

My thought was that is two options:
Thats one end of the stroke we are seeing. Like the angle is ok for part and hits at the end of the stroke.
Or that is the middle of the stroke and getting the worst part of it there.

man that rocker arm is way off!

He was a very confused guy, there no telling how the valves were adjusted. He was saying one minute how many ft pounds of torque they should be and another minute anout how much lash they should have . I just shook my head.. and asked, does it have hydraulic lifters? He responded oh yes hyd roller lifters. I think they had way to much preload for one. And guide plate can move almost 1/4in so that needs fixed first. Turned it over by hand with plugs out feels good but who knows lol

Yeah, that is one I would tear down 100%. No tellin if anything is right or wrong.
Yeah, definitely take it back down to short block on a stand, or even bare block, and check all clearances/torques and put it all back together so you know it's done right. A rebuild gasket set is a cheap price for peace of mind knowing that this "rebuilt" engine is put together right for years of use.

Those look like stock pushrods, cannot use them with the comp hardened guide plates. You have to use hardened pushrods with guide plates, otherwise you get what you have pictured. I have a stack of 0411's in the shop, at least 10, and I think I have 3 or 4 blue/red plug sets. I buy them in bulk locally and get them for about $25-30 a piece that way. I need to strop some down, glass bead them, and paint them. Cleaned up ones painted seem to be bringing about $75-100. My problem is I don't have a 454 base tune, just 350 base tunes. The good news is you can diy tune the 0411 with a cheap tool.

I understand i need to tune to a 2000 range with 8.1 as a "base" what tool do you suggest? or buy a HP "Link" and couple credits? or am I over thinking it?

Back