• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

96 power stroke glow plug problem

Begin by removing the small control wire that activates the glow plug controller. Then replace the fuse. Now use test light to confirm power gets to that connector and see if the fuse blows again.

With the wire disconnected from controller, if fuse blows, then you have a short in the wire somewhere. I really like the power probe 3 master kit for electrical diagnostics, and locating opens & shorts.

If the fuse doesn’t blow, then you may have bad glow plugs or wiring from the controller to the plugs. Key off, If you reconnect the wire you just tested and disconnect the 8 glow plug wires from glowplugs ensuring that all 8 are kept well away from grounding out (wires and ends) then attempt turning to glow position again. If the fuse doesn’t blow then the glow plugs or plug “wires” (actually fuseable link wires) are shorting out. Normally the wires look ok but you can feel where they are messed up inside the rubber insulation. If the wires check out ok, go agead and replace glow plugs remembering to put antiseize on threads of new ones.

If the fuse does blow again, then suspect a short in the large supply wire from battery feed or the controller itself. In this case normally the controller.

A common mod is to chuck the controller and just use a heavy duty starter solenoid that is rated full duty. CAUTION. This requires a toggle swith inline to the solenoid a tion wire AND requires self limiting glow plugs. Without the toggle you control manually every start the new solenoid will fry in no time. Without the self limiting plugs (the best choice regardless) the plug tips can break off inside the cylinder and ruin the engine.

It’s been 4 years since I worked on one of these. Good close up pics of the controller and I could id which wire does what (if memory doesn’t fail) to help if needed.

Oh, DONT crank until batteries drain or even when you get glows working again it will never start. Crank speed is gold for diesels.

DONT use starting fluid. That is a death nail to glowplugs. It ruins them in a couple seconds. Worse than that-

ENGINE KILLER! One of the 2 last power strokes I worked on the guy used just a little starting fluid and destroyed block and 1 head. And he had been using starting fluid on diesels for decades- knew how to do it right. Just got it a hair wrong once and BOOM!

Oh, DONT crank until batteries drain or even when you get glows working again it will never start. Crank speed is gold for diesels.

DONT use starting fluid. That is a death nail to glowplugs. It ruins them in a couple seconds. Worse than that-

ENGINE KILLER! One of the 2 last power strokes I worked on the guy used just a little starting fluid and destroyed block and 1 head. And he had been using starting fluid on diesels for decades- knew how to do it right. Just got it a hair wrong once and BOOM!
That doesn’t sound good- haven’t used starting fluid in years but tried it twice and it fired but wouldn’t stay running.

Yeah, so if you have tried starting fluid, those glowplugs are junk. This won’t cause them to short out that I have ever seen.

Still need to chase the short circuit. Having slept on it, the controller is the most common failure on Ford. Begin there. Don’t remember if I said that or not already.

Back