• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

96 Cheyenne project truck

trouttrooper

Big Blocks ROCK!!!
Reaction score
So I really wasn't looking for a project truck. Was actually just keeping an eye on marketplace for something for my next kid getting ready to get his license. However this one showed up that was just too good to pass up. It belonged to a dairy farm and my best guess is it must have been tasked with hauling a trailer that didn't require getting muddy or covered in cow poo poo. There is no cancer rust on it anywhere, no body damage of any significance, no leaks anywhere. The inside shows signs of sun bleaching and normal wear and tear for a work truck. Biggest thing so far is it obviously was in a lot of dusty areas, as there is fine dust EVERYWHERE.

I don't plan on doing anything wild. So far just been doing some TLC for all the little things worn out or broken. Brakes, door hinges, dash parts, better side mirrors, some wiring in the engine bay needed replaced from age. I know the AC doesn't work, but I'll tackle that when it warms up outside a little more. I did take advantage of a Harbor Freight sale awhile back and picked up a 12,000 lb badland winch and tray. Eventually it will be capable to go exploring in the mountains with the ability to self recover if I make an oopsie, or help if I come across someone in a situation.

Attachments

• 1996 k2500.jpg
    1996 k2500.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 1996 k2500.jpg
    1996 k2500.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 7
Should make for a nice truck. Spend time on researching the compressors- that is a the weak point of the system. I used to have recommendation, but they stopped making the good ones in Mexico and now Chineseium took over so went from good to junk.

The more rigs I am seeing results in, the more I am becoming a firm believer in “engine restore” oil additive. Improves compression, oil pressure, heard no issues from it and it is cheaper than a qt of quality oil.

Try finding out if they have been doing trans fluid/filter or not.

Do a fuel filter on day 1, and expect the fuel pump needing replacement. We learned replacing the fuel filter every other oil change helped mpg, power and fuel pump life.
It is on frame where the lift pump is on a 6.5. Easy swap.

Back