• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

95 trans

Chevy95silverado

Reaction score
I have a 1995 chevy 1500 350tbi my motor just locked up put a new one in and now my trans won't shift and acts like it's just sitting in neutral all day everyone I've spoke to said that it most like killed the pump in it and I'm wondering will a 1995 k2500 4l80e trand will bolt up to my 350 the 2500 has a 350 in it also

It'll bolt right up, but you will probably need to change driveshaft lengths, the problem comes trying to control it. Easiest is to use an aftermarket controller.

It is not a name change. They are completely different transmissions.
Gm just makes everything bolt up so it can work, but the electrical engineers design a complete new electrical system for each time they put it in the next year rig.

So physically, it can be put in place. But no it is not a correct part. Current term would be: NOT plug and play.
Effectively you are building a custom rig or hot rod at the point of doing this.

No Chevrolet renamed the trans from a 700r4 to the 4l60e in 1992 I've been to the Chevrolet pages I've done the checking on that so I know I'm right on that and my question is still not being answered on the whole why would it have to have that little thing when it's going into the exact same year truck that I have with the exact same motor wich is the 350 5.7l v8 small block

Not gonna argue the point of name. Etc.
Simple answer: yes it will bolt up..no your computer won't run it properly. 4l60 and 4l80 have different programing. That's probably not the correct way to word it but it is what it is..m you're basically asking a Panasonic TV remote control to work on a zenith TV.

A 4L60E is not a 4l80E. You are not solving the problem at hand by throwing parts at it regardless of correct parts or not. IMO the 4L80E is a better transmission... But it's bigger, takes more power from the engine, and it's a job to make it fit by modifying cross members, driveshaft length etc. It's now a common swap for a Trailblazer SS as the 4L65E (Oh look! GM put a 5 where the 0 was! :facepalm: ) is a bit of a grenade at times and don't hold up well to 395 HP /400 TQ let alone power mods.

I suggest starting with checking the fluid level and condition on the trans. Then check the grounds esp the ones that go to the passenger rear of the engine. Maybe you left one off. If you changed the trans oil after sitting a long time with a bad engine the converter drained out some and it's a pain to fill the trans back up as the air burps out and you uncover the pump suction with low oil level, again and again.

Any codes?

Also why won't my computer run it then if it's the same year truck is it cause the computer was programmed to run a 4l60 and not the 4l80 pretty much?
Yes that's the best way to look at it... I'm not being a smart ass but your on a forum that's mostly guys that have been doing this stuff for years..if they say it can't be or shouldn't be done, you can take it as GOSSPIL.. ESPECIALLY Will, Warwagon, THEFERMANATOR, and a couple others...these guys know there stuff and don't gain anything from giving bad advice..were all here to help each other. Which with these rigs we all need all the help we can get..

A 4L60E is not a 4l80E. You are not solving the problem at hand by throwing parts at it regardless of correct parts or not. IMO the 4L80E is a better transmission... But it's bigger, takes more power from the engine, and it's a job to make it fit by modifying cross members, driveshaft length etc. It's now a common swap for a Trailblazer SS as the 4L65E (Oh look! GM put a 5 where the 0 was! :facepalm: ) is a bit of a grenade at times and don't hold up well to 395 HP /400 TQ let alone power mods.

I suggest starting with checking the fluid level and condition on the trans. Then check the grounds esp the ones that go to the passenger rear of the engine. Maybe you left one off. If you changed the trans oil after sitting a long time with a bad engine the converter drained out some and it's a pain to fill the trans back up as the air burps out and you uncover the pump suction with low oil level, again and again.

Any codes?
The truck didn't sit long when the motor locked up maybe 5days before the motor got pulled and swapped in 2days we fired the truck up no problems and run just fine yes it did get low on fluid when we pulled it but got it back to level yesterday and it won't pull out of its tracks its literally as if my trucks in neutral even in park...also thank you for the more info on the 4l80 those where some of the things I was curious I about I figured it was bigger just not so much bigger it would take all that extra shit to run it with that being said looks like I need a different trans

Check transmission pressures, see what it is not doing.
If the torque convertor slid forwards in the engine swap, and got bound against the flex plate, it then most likely took out the front pump of the transmission.

Trans name change took place in 1990. The 700r4 became the 4l60, in 93, for trucks, GM went to the 4l60E. The E at the end stands for electronic control. The 4l60e and 4l80e use different control strategies, different wiring, the 4l80e is longer, uses a 32 spline output vs The 27 spline of the 4l60e, and a different converter bolt pattern. You would have to use the appropriate chip in your PCM to make it shift, repin the trans plug, add in the input speed sensor wiring, change your flexplate, change your emission control system from the 8500 gvwr and under to the 8600 gvwr and over, change transfer case or your input shaft in yours, longer transfer case shift rod, move your trans crossmember back, and driveshaft mods(longer front shaft & shorten rear shaft). You will get a stronger trans yes, but you will also get a taller 1st gear for slower take-offs, worse mpg's, and about a 10-20hp loss in power to the rear wheels across the board to drive the larger 4l80e.

Most trans damage from locked up engines occur getting The engine out. It is very easy to damage the front pump when you pull the engine with the converter attached. Have you checked your trans fluid level with the engine off and then with the engine running? If the fluid level doesn't drop with the engine running the pump isn't working. This is about as simple of a test as there is to see if your pump is working.

Back