• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

95 Gmc Sierra Turning radius

onebad65c10

Reaction score
Hey guys have a quick question that maybe you can help me with. Last year I inherated a 1995 Gmc Sierra Ext cab shrt bed from my aunt and uncle who passed away. Like the truck and my dad drives it everyday back and forth to work. Its nicely equipped 4wd pw pl all the good stuff. It only had 30k miles on it when we got it. They used it just for pulling thier 27 ft camper trailer.
My question is that is there anything to help th eturning radius. This thing needs a 6 lane road to makea u turn. Not exactly a good thing since I live on a 2 lane street. Its tight getting out of my drive way. i looked under neath when I had my Yukon and it all looks the same but I could turn inside the trucks circle. Even my 83 K30 Suburan would turn better.
Was thinking its something to do with the Steering gear box, but I dont want to replace it if I dont have to. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Phil

88-96 had the regular steering box and 97+ had the variable steering boxes. I know I replaced my steering box with an AGR one last year and my turning radius was GREATLY improved. They are built using the newer style steering box guts which gives you softer steering at speed, much better power steering at slow speeds, and an improved turning radius. If you can find a box off of a 97+ you can bolt it in and also get an improved turning radius, but you may find it to have too much power steering going down the road as they are meant for the variable control valve.

88-96 had the regular steering box and 97+ had the variable steering boxes. I know I replaced my steering box with an AGR one last year and my turning radius was GREATLY improved. They are built using the newer style steering box guts which gives you softer steering at speed, much better power steering at slow speeds, and an improved turning radius. If you can find a box off of a 97+ you can bolt it in and also get an improved turning radius, but you may find it to have too much power steering going down the road as they are meant for the variable control valve.

Isn't the steering radius limited by the stops on the Lower Control Arms?

I have observed '94, '95 and '99 all up on stands and the steering travel is limited by the knuckles hitting the Lower Control Arms. The difference is that '98 and '99 K2500s had forged Lower Control Arms, while all '97 and earlier got the stamped steel lower control arms. I checked the specs for the turning radius on a '94 K2500 Suburban and it's 47.7'. Turning radius for the '99 K2500 Suburban is 44.7'. It does not seem like a whole lot, but you sure notice the difference when driving the two in tight quarters.

I have installed new Redhead Steering Boxes on both the '94 and '99 and when questioned on this subject, they insisted that there was no difference in the two steering boxes. That said, when I was playing the steering box adjustment game, I first installed the box from the '95 K2500 into the '99 K2500 and it was apparent the steering radius was worse. Finally, I am planning on installing the forged lower control arms harvested from a '99 K2500 onto the '94 K2500 to get a real gauge on this.

Back