• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

'95 4L60-e only shifts high rpm and i lift throttle

ericmyrick942

Reaction score
Ok, so I have a 95 k1500 with a built motor and I have to bring rpm up
(Heavy or light throttle) to 3200 or higher and lift then will jump shift from 1st to 3rd. Now I sometimes get 2nd. Then 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th i also have to lift but it does get all gears including lock up. It just recently started. It's more annoying than anything, I haven't serviced it yet but fluid doesn't smell burnt and is still red and there's no metal shavings that I can see. I need some help, I don't want it to blow up I just want it to run like it was. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Not much from Me except to disconnect every ground wire attached to the engine and sand and scrub them all to shiny bright then smear on something, very lightly, for a corrosion inhibitor, to the terminals and the fasteners, then fasten them all back down again.
Also I believe that the codes can be read but I dont know what kind of a scan device is needed.
I also believe that the temperature sender beside the thermostat housing, with two wires, can be the culprit in causing weird sorts of issues with running and shifting.
Oh yeah, welcome to the forum Eric.

Welcome to the forum Eric. do like Mr Marty said and check all the PCM grounds. what engine do you have, if diesel, all the PCM grounds are located on one of the intake studs near the trans dipstick tube. on a gasser they may be located near the same area. also try to pull the PCM codes if any. obd1 scanners are hard to come by nowadays, but you can short two of the pins in the connector under the dash and the SES light should start flashing codes. it will start with code 12 (one flash followed by two flashes) it will flash each code then repeat the cycle. chances are it there is a possible shorted sensor knocking out the 5v reference to half of the sensors.

tell us a little about your truck and how this issue came to be, or what happened leading up to this issue. @THEFERMANATOR is the best tranny guy I know here, I'm sure he will be online soon to chime in for some assistance as to where to start.

For the tbi engines the 1st thing you check for shifting problems is the TPS. It controls pretty much everything as far as shifting goes. You can check it with a voltmeter, should be around .4-.5 volts at idle with a nice smooth progression as you open the throttle, and be around 4.5 volts at wide open throttle.

Back