• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

94 GMC Yukon 6.5L diesel, looking for advice/info on rebuilds, etc.

Chefhusker

Reaction score
Hello all, looking to learn more about my truck. I'm looking into performing a complete engine rebuild, never done a diesel but I've done a few Chevy 350s. Not sure what knowledge carries over and what to let go. I see a lot of threads worth looking into here, and I thank anyone who drops a line wishing to point me in a good direction. Thank you!

btfarm

345,000 Worth and counting
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to The Truck Stop! When it comes to 6.5 knowledge and your truck's vintage you came to the right place. Good group of people here and they'll help you all along the way.

Will L.

Reaction score
Welcome.
Going from a 350 to 6.5 is no biggie. Definitely a manual for specs counts more on diesel.

Is there specific things you have questions on?
You want an overview comparing them to understand better?
Just let us know and we are glad to help.

schiker

Reaction score
Welcome.
My thoughts are depends on goals and budget. Is the truck worth it? 350 is dirt cheap in comparison! Why rebuild? Hi milage, blowby, low oil pressure? Loss of power? Want to tow better? Any current mods or upgrades? Injection pump?

Should get at least the better water pump later model iirc 99+ gm spin on fan. Might be 2000 - the balanced flow water pump. The rest depends on above?

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score
Welcome! Yes, why rebuild? You will find these are a throwaway engine and it's sometimes cheaper to buy a new longblock than build a used one. I have gone through a few 6.5's and 6.2's rebuilds and simply add good rebuildable (crack free) engines are hard to find anymore.

Pics. WE WANT PICS of the somewhat rare Yukon 1994 diesel!!! :woot: