• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

94 C3500 350 NV4500 squealing

tanman_2006

Just a farm kid...
Reaction score
When I press the pedal the pedal bounces and the clutch squeals until I lift my foot.

Do I need a new clutch? Or is it just the throw out bearing?

Clutch doesn't slip at the moment.

Pressure plate fingers may be damaged, causing unequal release? The spring retainer plate broke on my clutch disk once and a spring wedged between the disk and the pressure plate causing a squeal. Couldn't shift the trans tho since the clutch and pressure plate were forced together. DMF or SMF?

Depends on age of clutch when you expect to have to replace it. If you were paying labor I'd say replace all reasonable parts while torn down (anticipating the truck will last another 100K miles). If it has less than 40-50K miles of wear on this clutch system and you are real sure its the throwout bearing then could save a few bucks for now and just do throwout bearing. But I would have to see throwout is truly bad with no other suspects. Its a bit of gamble either way. If you try and be OCD and replace all worn parts then Murphy's law it will break something else and clutch will be extra money lost.

Isn't the PP and Flywheel suppose to be oriented a certain way. IIRC the PP gets a paint mark to match to flywheel when you buy as a kit. Its been a few years since my last clutch job. I would try and match any and all other orientations of parts on reassesambly. All I can think of is spline match up to disc is about all else. Just good practice to match orientation on stuff with wear.

I'd replace the pilot bearing too while there. It seems to be one of the weakest components of clutch system.

I wouldn't do a full clutch job with out pilot bearing.

I either plan to 383 this truck or db2 6.5L this truck with in the next 20-50k

I ALWAYS do the pilot bearing ANY time I pull a manual trans. Had to many fail for no reason not to. If you have other plans for the truck, then pull it down and inspect it. If it's still good, then deglaze the flywheel and pressure plate, do the bearings, and slap it back together. Ordo just the disc if the pressure plate looks ok.

Now I've completely lost all feel of the clutch pedal. It got real hard to push this morning and then it felt like it lost all resistance and the truck lunged forward.

Is this a concentric slave? If so bad throwout bearing might have heated up and melted plastic til hydraulics leaked.

But I missed bouncing pedal in first post. Sounds pressure plate related. But then again it was disconnecting and shifting ok. I don't think the wimpy hydraulics hold up to much extra force of any pressure plate malfunction and blow out fairly easily.

If external slave could even be the clutch fork and ball wore out and caused misalignment or something stressing the throw out and blowing hydraulics.

Like Ferm said I meant the Pilot is small and a weak link on GM trucks and replace every time. GM cheaped out on about every clutch system they ever installed IMO.

I have a new throw out and pilot bearing. Guess I better be ready to buy a slave cylinder, I bet it blew out from me having to stand on the pedal.

Got lucky, this transmission has the newer shifter with the removable 4 bolt shift tower. A lot easier to slide back.

Got everything done and was ready to slide it back together. Mid wrestling match the trans jack fell over on me. Looks like tomorrow will have to be a better day.

Yeah, its unwieldy doing the job by yourself trying to get it to slide into place. Hope it didnt hurt ya. Sounds like a good idea to walk away for a bit and not get too aggravated at it.

Manuals dont suck, but sometimes the NV4500 does... :)

Dont judge the whole basket by one sketchy looking apple. :)

I wish these had greaseable throwout bearings like the big trucks do.

You and 3 other people would use them correctly. Most wouldn't never, and a few would give it 8/9 pumps and wonder why the new clutch is slipping.

Got the bastard back in. All buttoned up.

BTW, this it the best looking oem clutch I've ever seen. Trans shifts so smooth it's scary.

That said, it seems the line from master to slave blew. I have fluid spraying from on top of the bell housings.

@GM Guy this is 3 of 3 bad apples and I have 2 buddies with completely stock 24 valve 2wds with nv4500's that want me to do rebuilds. Call them grind-o-matics

Got the bastard back in. All buttoned up.

BTW, this it the best looking oem clutch I've ever seen. Trans shifts so smooth it's scary.

That said, it seems the line from master to slave blew. I have fluid spraying from on top of the bell housings.

@GM Guy this is 3 of 3 bad apples and I have 2 buddies with completely stock 24 valve 2wds with nv4500's that want me to do rebuilds. Call them grind-o-matics
MOST shifting issues I saw was people cutting corners and using the wrong fluid in them. Yes it's expensive, but it works. It amazes me people will buy a $10K used truck, throw $5K worth the performance goodies at it, another $5K or more at it for rims, tires, paint, lights, and what not, but scream RAPE over $80 worth the fluid, then cry like a baby when there trans bites it and needs $1500-2000 worth the work.

Back