• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

'94 C1500 Build "Just Because"

Quadstar Tuning LLC

Quadstar Tuning LLC
Reaction score
I started this over on DP, but figured I would dabble on TTS too :p

My build is "Just Because" ... well, because none of it is necessary, but i'm sure I'll have a blast
HiHi.gif

Here is the checklist:
  • Genuine New Holset WH1C - 12cm turbine
  • Custom wastegate actuator. In-Cab adjustable
  • PTWiring Solutions HX35 Install Kit
  • 97-98 HO water pump Install - To keep current DMAX fan setup
  • OPS Relocation
  • Water pump restrictor mod. Since I have the dual thermostat x-over already
  • Gut upper EGR Intake - Already have VIN F Lower
  • Reseal timing cover + new crank seal
  • New Timing Set (chain/gears) and Harmonic balancer. Thanks Leroy.
  • Swap crossover studs for stainless bolts since one side keeps loosening
  • Finish rocker arm retainer mod by doing the driver side
  • Flush/Clean the Radiator & top off with new fluids. Add Water Wetter
  • Install my EGT gauge
  • Put on my spare FFM that I've done a DIY Feed the Beast mod on

Potential additional plans pending funds:
  • Single tune chip for max fueling
  • Replace my old 4" exhaust with a new DE kit. Or just run an open downpipe until September state Inspection
  • Head studs

I was reading on Leroy's thread the other day that a P400 will fit the 2wd frame..but that's still a dream. At least I can use all of these parts on one someday.

Also, I'm going to be keeping the vacuum pump setup for future boost control/spool valve control ideas with larger turbine housing. I might 'delete' it for now until I need it again though.

Lots of pictures and goPro videos will ensue:

IMAG1143_zpsawgi8zgc.jpg

Starting with a 1 BAR (14.5 PSI) actuator for now (you don't see "turbo masters" at the race track):
IMAG1130_zpsnbpxz6pv.jpg

IMAG1137_zpsv3bgenft.jpg

IMAG1139_zpsdsk84gm2.jpg

IMAG1108_zpshojoorwv.jpg

IMAG1140_zpspdzkwcme.jpg

Here's how the boost control will work for those who aren't familiar with them. It allows you to adjust up from your base spring # that's in the actuator.
5483.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing the results. Correct me if I am wrong but your boost controller is only going to work in the way of increasing boost correct?
Also, what does the water wetter stuff do?

Loving the setup and list you have put together. Looks like a good and fun amount of work and hopefully some great gains. I'm curious to see how you like the 12cm exhuast housing on the holset, I know the opinion of some is that it is on the small side for our trucks but I'm curious to see how it works for you.

Looking forward to seeing the results. Correct me if I am wrong but your boost controller is only going to work in the way of increasing boost correct?
Also, what does the water wetter stuff do?

Loving the setup and list you have put together. Looks like a good and fun amount of work and hopefully some great gains. I'm curious to see how you like the 12cm exhuast housing on the holset, I know the opinion of some is that it is on the small side for our trucks but I'm curious to see how it works for you.

The 12cm is a good start for me and it's easy to change later. I got an awesome deal on this turbo and it's not Chinese so that's a plus for me.

Yes, the boost control only lets you adjust up from whatever spring the actuator has in it.

Water wetter is the only additive I believe in other than adding 2 stroke oil to fuel for an IDI diesel. It increases the thermal transfer capacity of coolant or straight water, and it works.

The 12cm is a good start for me and it's easy to change later. I got an awesome deal on this turbo and it's not Chinese so that's a plus for me.

Yes, the boost control only lets you adjust up from whatever spring the actuator has in it.

Water wetter is the only additive I believe in other than adding 2 stroke oil to fuel for an IDI diesel. It increases the thermal transfer capacity of coolant or straight water, and it works.

I will have to get my hands on some of the Water wetter and try it then. Thanks.

Do you know what the stock setting on the wastegate is? Do you plan to open it up and give yourself greater boost control off the controller or leave it stock and just up your boost? What do you plan on running PSI wise? Sorry for so many questions, this is something I looked at doing at one time and I'm interested on how you plan to manage it.

I will have to get my hands on some of the Water wetter and try it then. Thanks.

Do you know what the stock setting on the wastegate is? Do you plan to open it up and give yourself greater boost control off the controller or leave it stock and just up your boost? What do you plan on running PSI wise? Sorry for so many questions, this is something I looked at doing at one time and I'm interested on how you plan to manage it.

No worries, that's what these threads are for after-all.

The stock Holset actuator is 20PSI. I swapped on a 1 Bar actuator from my old 300zx parts pile (that's roughly 14.5 psi) for now. Once I get my hands on a 10 psi pot, that'll be what I use. You need maintain some spring resistance to keep it closed also (i'm not sure how low you can go).

I might open up the Holset actuator and play with it since I won't need 20+ psi. Kinugawa sells individual springs that could be swapped in. I already connected it up to my air compressor to verify and test them out.

Back