• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

83 Speedometer

Landon730

Reaction score
Not sure if I have this in the right category but my 83 c10 is off my about 10-15 mph. Everything on it is stock, tranny, tires, rear end. I think its the gear in the tranny but what the the other little thing that plugs into the back of the speedometer do? I found it listed as speed sensor. Could this be messed up? Heres a picture to helps-l300.jpg

The speedometer is all mechanical, but if it had a 700r4 it had an optic sensor in the speedo itself that read the gear turning. It has no effect on the speedo.

It should be off by percentage, not exact amount. Drive a measured mile at low speed like 25 mph and check odometer. Then do it at 50 mph checking odometer.
The ratio should be the same. If not, I would suspect something like speedo cable damaged and creating drag and slipping.

So what does it do?
It tells the ecm how fadt you're going. Before GM went to all electric speedo's, they had cable speedo's and an optic sensor that was triggered by a hole drilled into the drum that the cable spins. For his truck it was probably there to control lockup for a 700r4 trans.

Back