• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

82 Bronco

Alsimo71

Reaction score
82 Bronco
6.5 ltr Diesel natural at this stage, might even change to 351.
Only picked up a week ago and slowly working on it.
I will be changing rear brakes to disc.
Just going to pull it apart clean it up over the next 12 months7B8A91EC-9F21-41ED-8F56-855F1772FB79.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those ol broncos are fun off road! Dont think i would want the 6.5 without a turbo on there. Proper sized turbo on 6.5 makes it far more fun.

Besides pulling that big boat, what is going to be your main use of the Bronco? If a lot of offroading, what is most common terrain and gearing/ tire size?

I’d say run he engine it has, and if you want a bit more hp& torque, you could add a turbo.
It’ll sure get better mpg than a 351c or w. And more torque.
The 351 has potential for more fun if you’re into slingin mud or sand everywhere. But if ya don’t cae about speed, you’ll probably like that diesel.

Thanks
It will be cheaper and more fun with a turbo diesel.
just need to do a lot of research on the engine parts if I do turbo it, only details I have so far is the engine number TMX0433 from the rego papers, not block number at this stage of the fun.
From a quick inspection it has a hole in the timing gear case that is part of the cooling system.
Parts costs are higher and not as available in Australia.C21FF841-6747-42FA-830F-5F8B033F16FF.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The kinked water hose isn't helping. I would check the 6.5 real careful to make sure it isn't a burned up boat anchor before spending a lot on it. Specifically look for cracked main bearing webs, head cracks, and signs of overheating. I would put a set of rings in it while it's out because you don't know how it it got with that cooling system mess. Anything much over 210 and the rings loose temper. Serious overheating 235+ gets you sudden lots of blowby due to overheated ring failure.

I have some of those covers if you need one. Is eBay a good way to ship international to you? IDK about shipping used auto parts Down Under.

Once you know for sure if you have a good engine to work with then you can decide on what direction to go.

The kinked water hose isn't helping. I would check the 6.5 real careful to make sure it isn't a burned up boat anchor before spending a lot on it. Specifically look for cracked main bearing webs, head cracks, and signs of overheating. I would put a set of rings in it while it's out because you don't know how it it got with that cooling system mess. Anything much over 210 and the rings loose temper. Serious overheating 235+ gets you sudden lots of blowby due to overheated ring failure.

I have some of those covers if you need one. Is eBay a good way to ship international to you? IDK about shipping used auto parts Down Under.

Once you know for sure if you have a good engine to work with then you can decide on what direction to go.
T

Appreciated the great advice
Yes I have used eBay to send a number of items
Again Thanks Al

Back