• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

700r4 not staying in OD

Landon730

Reaction score
My 83 has shifted very weird ever since I had to swap the motor. It was shifting very very early into high gears and lugging the motor. It worked just fine before the engine swap. The other night I drove it about 300 miles round trip and noticed on the way there overdrive was becoming harder and harder to stay in. When I got to where I was going I noticed the kickdown cable had come off the injector pump (6.2 diesel in this rig). I put it back on thinking it would fix it, now it shifts right (not shifting into high gears early) but now to get into overdrive i have to let the motor all the way to idle and I can feel it shift. If I give it any throttle I hear it shift down. Its full on fluid and it has no signs that its burnt up. Its still very strong and kicks right into gear. I'm about 99% sure its not going out because it shifts perfect though every gear and reverse, just not wanting to run in overdrive.

Have you adjusted the TV cable?
Adjusted tv cable tonight and still have the exact same problem. When you shift from D to 3 with the motor idled all the way down running ~55 I can hear it shift out of OD and feel it kick down and rev the motor some. If I shift back to D and give it ANY throttle it goes back into 3rd.

Just went back to the beginning and reread. Are you sure it's overdrive and not the torque converter locking and unlocking?

Just went back to the beginning and reread. Are you sure it's overdrive and not the torque converter locking and unlocking?
Yeah its really hard to explain but its running ridiculous high rpms at 60 mph because its not going into overdive. It stills pulls perfectly fine it just keeps shifting out of OD when you give it throttle. I don't really want to spend more money on it at this point. It just keeps developing more and more problems along with my other truck. Bout to the point of buying a different newer truck and selling these ones

We put in a bowtie overdrive 700r4 in our 84, and in order to activate the warranty they had a check list of things to do. Turned out the TC wasn't locking. It was a simple ground wire got disconnected on some previous foray of my dad. That ground also lit up the 4x4 shifter. If it was a hiway truck we would have noticed it, but it was a plow truck and it also had 3.08 gears

Adjusting the TV cable improperly is perhaps the main reason many 700r4's go south. I like the constant pressure valve body which in turn makes the TV adjustment less critical on the 700r4.
So could it be the valve body being messed up? I’ll check for a ground wire tonight also. It was working just fine and then it started to mess up on the interstate

Back