• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5l turbo diesel ring gap

Trucker2k16

Reaction score
Hey fellas can anyone help me with the ring gap on a 6.5l or should i throw gapless rings in it and call it love? Would it be .004x4.055 the get the gap or .005x4.055 i know 7 and 8 run a tad hotter thanks

Is your engine standard or punched oversize?

Clarification of Total Seal "Gapless Rings".

Pictures: (This is a set from Leroydiesel.com in an Engine Tech box).

Results over years in my engine. Ring set direct from Total Seal:

You can send your second ring in for a cost to be made into gapless. Or buy a set from Total Seal. Note other vendors here market generic rings sent in to be made gapless by Total Seal as noted above.

Is your engine standard or punched oversize?

Clarification of Total Seal "Gapless Rings".

Pictures: (This is a set from Leroydiesel.com in an Engine Tech box).

Results over years in my engine. Ring set direct from Total Seal:

You can send your second ring in for a cost to be made into gapless. Or buy a set from Total Seal. Note other vendors here market generic rings sent in to be made gapless by Total Seal as noted above.
Stock bore size

The ring manufacture has their own specs normally .... True Total Seal complete sets are different than others, and each ring has a different gap as well...
Yea thats whats messing with me all the old rings was all different sizes ive seen that 1-6. Are same and 7-8 are different im just confused and had to stop the rebuild for the moment.

If I'm building it zero... but I use a honing plate....

If I'm building it zero... but I use a honing plate....

Harley cylinder jugs requires honing plates top and bottom before boring the jugs, honing to size and fitting the pistons.
I once had a 1976 FLH Electra Glide. I wanted it punched to 0.020 over. The local motorcycle dealer had the boring bar but they did not have the honing plates for the cylinders.
At work, removing old cutting edges on loader buckets and installing new edge, there was always about a foot or two of new cutting edge that got torched off of the end. That stuff is relatively hard.
I took two pieces of the cut off ends and drilled and threaded a set of boring plates. I dont know how many drill bits I used and how many taps it took to get the job completed but I got it done.
After I was finished, I took the plates to the machine shop and had them planed to bright, shiny and totally flat.
One of the mechanics at the motorcycle dealer worked on a lot of Harleys in his spare time. After He bored my cylinders I handed the plates back to Him and told Him He would need them more often that I would. 😹😹😹

Back